- Around 52,000 students marched through London in protest at plans to increase tuition fees while cutting state funding for university teaching.
- Some 200 people from the march occupied 30 Millbank – the building that houses the Conservative party's campaign headquarters – and a stand-off with police ensued.
- Fourteen people – police and activists – were injured and police arrested 153 demonstrators.
- Police in riot gear clashed with protesters, who had smashed windows and mounted the roof of the building.
- The NUS distanced itself from the violence, with its president Aaron Porter saying he "absolutely condemned" the scenes.
More top news
A mixed week ahead weather wise with milder conditions for many towards the weekend
A damp start to the working week with brighter weather for most later in the day
Having a longer pregnancy also reduced the risk of suffering from post-natal depression, a study found.