- Lord Hall took up his position as Chief Executive of the Royal Opera House in April 2001
- He joined the BBC as a news trainee in 1973 and during a 28 year career at the Corporation worked his way up to Chief Executive of BBC News from 1996 to 2001
- While at the BBC he launched Radio 5 Live, BBC News 24, BBC News Online and BBC Parliament
- He is Deputy Chairman of Channel 4 Television
- Lord Hall will be the 16th Director-General of the BBC
- He will receive a salary of £450,000 per year
More top news
The decision was made after two Russian athletes failed drugs tests at the PyeongChang Games.
Sunday will be dry and largely sunny, although there will be some patchy cloud, mainly across eastern Scotland and eastern England.
County lines crime is to be targeted in a new scheme designed to steer young people and children away from exploitative gangs.