- Lord Hall took up his position as Chief Executive of the Royal Opera House in April 2001
- He joined the BBC as a news trainee in 1973 and during a 28 year career at the Corporation worked his way up to Chief Executive of BBC News from 1996 to 2001
- While at the BBC he launched Radio 5 Live, BBC News 24, BBC News Online and BBC Parliament
- He is Deputy Chairman of Channel 4 Television
- Lord Hall will be the 16th Director-General of the BBC
- He will receive a salary of £450,000 per year
More top news
Two ambulances crashed leaving one driver dead and three people seriously injured.
A scandal-hit NHS trust where a teenager drowned in the bath is still failing to protect patients from risk of harm, a watchdog has found.
New research suggests metal-on-metal hip replacements implanted since 2006 are more prone to failure and they "fail in a much nastier way".