- Lord Hall took up his position as Chief Executive of the Royal Opera House in April 2001
- He joined the BBC as a news trainee in 1973 and during a 28 year career at the Corporation worked his way up to Chief Executive of BBC News from 1996 to 2001
- While at the BBC he launched Radio 5 Live, BBC News 24, BBC News Online and BBC Parliament
- He is Deputy Chairman of Channel 4 Television
- Lord Hall will be the 16th Director-General of the BBC
- He will receive a salary of £450,000 per year
More top news
An American beer company has apologised after a slogan which appeared on some of its bottles was accused of condoning 'rape culture.'
The badly-stricken mountain village of Ghyampesal is just 10 miles away from the epicentre of the quake.
It's all going on tonight - as belt of rain sweeps from in from the west - lively downpours will mean rumbles of thunder and hail