- 1 million motorists have been caught illegally using a hand-held mobile phone when driving since legislation was introduced in 2003.
- 33% of motorists admit to still using their handset while behind the wheel.
- 1/5 of motorists think it is acceptable to use a hand-held phone when driving regardless of the law.
- 100,000 motorists are fined for using a mobile every year.
- 350,000 motorists have admitted they nearly had an accident/came close to one due to being distracted by their mobiles in the past year.
- Drivers using their phones are twice as likely to drive erratically - including sudden braking, reckless driving and speeding.
More top news
Newly crowned double Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton had a phenomenal season. Here is a look at his career and season in numbers.
Work to recover the wreckage of downed Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 has finally finished.
Five political leaders have agreed to tackle young people's questions in a series of live Q&As on YouTube. Here's how you can get involved…