- 1 million motorists have been caught illegally using a hand-held mobile phone when driving since legislation was introduced in 2003.
- 33% of motorists admit to still using their handset while behind the wheel.
- 1/5 of motorists think it is acceptable to use a hand-held phone when driving regardless of the law.
- 100,000 motorists are fined for using a mobile every year.
- 350,000 motorists have admitted they nearly had an accident/came close to one due to being distracted by their mobiles in the past year.
- Drivers using their phones are twice as likely to drive erratically - including sudden braking, reckless driving and speeding.
More top news
A Cornish village fundraising to develop a community centre were helped out with a donation from an unlikely source - the Emir of Dubai.
Thursday will be an unsettled day across many northern areas with outbreaks of rain which could be heavy, accompanied by strong winds.
Apple has marked the 10th anniversary since the first iPhone went on sale.