- 1 million motorists have been caught illegally using a hand-held mobile phone when driving since legislation was introduced in 2003.
- 33% of motorists admit to still using their handset while behind the wheel.
- 1/5 of motorists think it is acceptable to use a hand-held phone when driving regardless of the law.
- 100,000 motorists are fined for using a mobile every year.
- 350,000 motorists have admitted they nearly had an accident/came close to one due to being distracted by their mobiles in the past year.
- Drivers using their phones are twice as likely to drive erratically - including sudden braking, reckless driving and speeding.
More top news
Find out where the year's political shocks and England's football failure rank, plus the UK's most followed celeb and most talked about TV.
Politician who helped engineer Brexit and was a key supporter to Donald Trump during US election is shortlisted for the prestigious award.
Scientists found the drug - meant to treat cancer patients - rejuvenated eggs to that of pre-pubescent girls.