- 1 million motorists have been caught illegally using a hand-held mobile phone when driving since legislation was introduced in 2003.
- 33% of motorists admit to still using their handset while behind the wheel.
- 1/5 of motorists think it is acceptable to use a hand-held phone when driving regardless of the law.
- 100,000 motorists are fined for using a mobile every year.
- 350,000 motorists have admitted they nearly had an accident/came close to one due to being distracted by their mobiles in the past year.
- Drivers using their phones are twice as likely to drive erratically - including sudden braking, reckless driving and speeding.
More top news
The former prime minister made the comments as he prepares to return to politics saying he wants to be "part of the debate" on Brexit.
The new measures would mirror childcare vouchers and see workers sacrifice some of their salary to benefit.
Google, Facebook and Twitter could face multi-million pound fines over their failure to remove illegal content, MPs say.