- 1 million motorists have been caught illegally using a hand-held mobile phone when driving since legislation was introduced in 2003.
- 33% of motorists admit to still using their handset while behind the wheel.
- 1/5 of motorists think it is acceptable to use a hand-held phone when driving regardless of the law.
- 100,000 motorists are fined for using a mobile every year.
- 350,000 motorists have admitted they nearly had an accident/came close to one due to being distracted by their mobiles in the past year.
- Drivers using their phones are twice as likely to drive erratically - including sudden braking, reckless driving and speeding.
More top news
This evening it'll become largely dry across the UK as the showers in the west gradually die down.
Multiple fatalities have been reported after an attack on a centre for disabled people near Tokyo, Japanese media reports suggest.
In a blog, basketball great Michael Jordan spoke out about the recent killings of both unarmed black men and police in the US.