- 1 million motorists have been caught illegally using a hand-held mobile phone when driving since legislation was introduced in 2003.
- 33% of motorists admit to still using their handset while behind the wheel.
- 1/5 of motorists think it is acceptable to use a hand-held phone when driving regardless of the law.
- 100,000 motorists are fined for using a mobile every year.
- 350,000 motorists have admitted they nearly had an accident/came close to one due to being distracted by their mobiles in the past year.
- Drivers using their phones are twice as likely to drive erratically - including sudden braking, reckless driving and speeding.
More top news
Vain tennis fans will be prevented from taking selfie sticks into Wimbledon because of the "nuisance value" of the devices.
Springtime scarves rather than shorts this week, as Spring bounces off for the time being
A large shipment of cocaine has been seized from a boat intercepted at sea by the Royal Navy and Coastguard.