- 1 million motorists have been caught illegally using a hand-held mobile phone when driving since legislation was introduced in 2003.
- 33% of motorists admit to still using their handset while behind the wheel.
- 1/5 of motorists think it is acceptable to use a hand-held phone when driving regardless of the law.
- 100,000 motorists are fined for using a mobile every year.
- 350,000 motorists have admitted they nearly had an accident/came close to one due to being distracted by their mobiles in the past year.
- Drivers using their phones are twice as likely to drive erratically - including sudden braking, reckless driving and speeding.
More top news
The MK912 spitfire was forced to make an emergency landing soon after taking off.
Showers ease in the north tonight, with it becoming very warm in the southeast tomorrow.
A mass inhalation of "hippy crack" was carried out in the shadow of Parliament on Saturday in protest at the Government's drug policy.