- 1 million motorists have been caught illegally using a hand-held mobile phone when driving since legislation was introduced in 2003.
- 33% of motorists admit to still using their handset while behind the wheel.
- 1/5 of motorists think it is acceptable to use a hand-held phone when driving regardless of the law.
- 100,000 motorists are fined for using a mobile every year.
- 350,000 motorists have admitted they nearly had an accident/came close to one due to being distracted by their mobiles in the past year.
- Drivers using their phones are twice as likely to drive erratically - including sudden braking, reckless driving and speeding.
More top news
Three men gored and 10 others hospitalised during first day of a week-long San Fermin festival in the northern Spanish city of Pamplona.
People travelling into the capital have been getting off a stop early to walk together in remembrance of the victims of the 7/7 bombings.
Olympian Dawn Fraser has been accused of racism after saying tennis player Nick Kyrgios should "go back" to where his parents came from.