- 1 million motorists have been caught illegally using a hand-held mobile phone when driving since legislation was introduced in 2003.
- 33% of motorists admit to still using their handset while behind the wheel.
- 1/5 of motorists think it is acceptable to use a hand-held phone when driving regardless of the law.
- 100,000 motorists are fined for using a mobile every year.
- 350,000 motorists have admitted they nearly had an accident/came close to one due to being distracted by their mobiles in the past year.
- Drivers using their phones are twice as likely to drive erratically - including sudden braking, reckless driving and speeding.
More top news
A second police officer has died after he and a colleague were shot as they scuffled with a suspect in Florida.
Thousands of demonstrators have marched through Boston in opposition to a right-wing rally in the city which was eventually cut short.
Some 1,000 counter-protesters blocked 500 neo-Nazi demonstrators as they tried to march to the site of the death of Hitler ally Rudolf Hess.