- 1 million motorists have been caught illegally using a hand-held mobile phone when driving since legislation was introduced in 2003.
- 33% of motorists admit to still using their handset while behind the wheel.
- 1/5 of motorists think it is acceptable to use a hand-held phone when driving regardless of the law.
- 100,000 motorists are fined for using a mobile every year.
- 350,000 motorists have admitted they nearly had an accident/came close to one due to being distracted by their mobiles in the past year.
- Drivers using their phones are twice as likely to drive erratically - including sudden braking, reckless driving and speeding.
More top news
A grieving mother says her faith in humanity is restored after a stolen laptop containing photos of her dying daughter was returned to her.
Rain will ease across central Scotland this morning but it will continue throughout the day across much of Scotland and the north.
An orangutan who has lived in a zoo for the past 20 years, can be granted basic human rights, a court in Argentina has ruled.