- 1 million motorists have been caught illegally using a hand-held mobile phone when driving since legislation was introduced in 2003.
- 33% of motorists admit to still using their handset while behind the wheel.
- 1/5 of motorists think it is acceptable to use a hand-held phone when driving regardless of the law.
- 100,000 motorists are fined for using a mobile every year.
- 350,000 motorists have admitted they nearly had an accident/came close to one due to being distracted by their mobiles in the past year.
- Drivers using their phones are twice as likely to drive erratically - including sudden braking, reckless driving and speeding.
More top news
A father-of-three bled to death after ten teeth were removed during a trip to the dentist, an inquest has heard.
Sunshine with blustery showers and longer downpours
The landowner at the site of excavation to find Ben Needham has said he is considering withdrawing permission to continue with the dig.