Larry Hagman, who has died aged 81, tasted stardom for the first time in the mid 1960s but it was his role as JR Ewing that brought him worldwide fame.
- He met his wife Maj Axelsson, a Swedish designer, while in England with the US Air Force
- Hagman became a star in 1965 in the TV comedy series ‘I Dream of Jeannie’, in which he played an astronaut
- He landed the role of merciless oil magnate JR Ewing, the character at the centre of the show Dallas, in 1977
- Hagman also acted in films such as ‘Nixon’ and ‘Primary Colors’
- Earlier this year he appeared in a new 10-episode series of Dallas, with a second series in production and due to run next year
More top news
The smuggler turned hero - made famous by Harrison Ford - will star in his own stand-alone film, Disney says.
Presented to the American press as an LA Galaxy player, former England captain says David Beckham influenced his move Stateside.
Vulnerable young people should be allowed to stay in care until the age of 25, the children's commissioner for England has said.