Larry Hagman, who has died aged 81, tasted stardom for the first time in the mid 1960s but it was his role as JR Ewing that brought him worldwide fame.
- He met his wife Maj Axelsson, a Swedish designer, while in England with the US Air Force
- Hagman became a star in 1965 in the TV comedy series ‘I Dream of Jeannie’, in which he played an astronaut
- He landed the role of merciless oil magnate JR Ewing, the character at the centre of the show Dallas, in 1977
- Hagman also acted in films such as ‘Nixon’ and ‘Primary Colors’
- Earlier this year he appeared in a new 10-episode series of Dallas, with a second series in production and due to run next year
More top news
Rain across central Britain with longer, intense downpours with thunder in places this evening. A lucky few will stay sunny and dry.
Planning on going to the London Marathon tomorrow? Read our handy guide first!
Labour plans to cap above-inflation rent rises over a three-year period, if they win the General Election.