Larry Hagman, who has died aged 81, tasted stardom for the first time in the mid 1960s but it was his role as JR Ewing that brought him worldwide fame.
- He met his wife Maj Axelsson, a Swedish designer, while in England with the US Air Force
- Hagman became a star in 1965 in the TV comedy series ‘I Dream of Jeannie’, in which he played an astronaut
- He landed the role of merciless oil magnate JR Ewing, the character at the centre of the show Dallas, in 1977
- Hagman also acted in films such as ‘Nixon’ and ‘Primary Colors’
- Earlier this year he appeared in a new 10-episode series of Dallas, with a second series in production and due to run next year
More top news
Jeremy Corbyn has arrived in Brussels to "ensure negotiations get on track" as he accused Theresa May of "upsetting just about everybody".
The rising cost of clearing up a record number of illegally dumped items - which ranged from fridges animal carcasses - has been revealed.
A look at the King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery as the Queen marks the 70th anniversary of the unit famed for gun salutes at major events.