Larry Hagman, who has died aged 81, tasted stardom for the first time in the mid 1960s but it was his role as JR Ewing that brought him worldwide fame.
- He met his wife Maj Axelsson, a Swedish designer, while in England with the US Air Force
- Hagman became a star in 1965 in the TV comedy series ‘I Dream of Jeannie’, in which he played an astronaut
- He landed the role of merciless oil magnate JR Ewing, the character at the centre of the show Dallas, in 1977
- Hagman also acted in films such as ‘Nixon’ and ‘Primary Colors’
- Earlier this year he appeared in a new 10-episode series of Dallas, with a second series in production and due to run next year
More top news
A Branislav Ivanovic header in extra-time ensured that Chelsea are through to the Capital One Cup Final after beating Liverpool
Scientists have discovered the oldest known earth-size planets discovered which they say raises the prospect of 'ancient life'.
Auschwitz survivor Alina Dabrowska was a victim of the cruel experiments of Nazi doctor Josef Mengele, known as "the Angel of Death."