Larry Hagman, who has died aged 81, tasted stardom for the first time in the mid 1960s but it was his role as JR Ewing that brought him worldwide fame.
- He met his wife Maj Axelsson, a Swedish designer, while in England with the US Air Force
- Hagman became a star in 1965 in the TV comedy series ‘I Dream of Jeannie’, in which he played an astronaut
- He landed the role of merciless oil magnate JR Ewing, the character at the centre of the show Dallas, in 1977
- Hagman also acted in films such as ‘Nixon’ and ‘Primary Colors’
- Earlier this year he appeared in a new 10-episode series of Dallas, with a second series in production and due to run next year
More top news
Charles Kennedy led the Liberal Democrats through their most successful period in the 2000s winning 62 seats in the 2005 General Election.
Police have expressed concern for a missing 13-year-old girl who was last seen on Saturday.
Fat and unfit police officers who fail fitness tests must lose weight or "we haven't got a job for them", Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe has said.