Larry Hagman, who has died aged 81, tasted stardom for the first time in the mid 1960s but it was his role as JR Ewing that brought him worldwide fame.
- He met his wife Maj Axelsson, a Swedish designer, while in England with the US Air Force
- Hagman became a star in 1965 in the TV comedy series ‘I Dream of Jeannie’, in which he played an astronaut
- He landed the role of merciless oil magnate JR Ewing, the character at the centre of the show Dallas, in 1977
- Hagman also acted in films such as ‘Nixon’ and ‘Primary Colors’
- Earlier this year he appeared in a new 10-episode series of Dallas, with a second series in production and due to run next year
More top news
The foreign secretary has criticised internet and social media giants for failing to detect and remove extremist material posted online.
Charities that receive money from EU structural and investment funds will be hit hard by Brexit, according to a House of Lords committee.
The family of the police officer who was murdered in the Westminster attack have thanked those who were with him 'in his last moments'.