Larry Hagman, who has died aged 81, tasted stardom for the first time in the mid 1960s but it was his role as JR Ewing that brought him worldwide fame.
- He met his wife Maj Axelsson, a Swedish designer, while in England with the US Air Force
- Hagman became a star in 1965 in the TV comedy series ‘I Dream of Jeannie’, in which he played an astronaut
- He landed the role of merciless oil magnate JR Ewing, the character at the centre of the show Dallas, in 1977
- Hagman also acted in films such as ‘Nixon’ and ‘Primary Colors’
- Earlier this year he appeared in a new 10-episode series of Dallas, with a second series in production and due to run next year
More top news
Nigel Farage said Ukip's campaign would be separate from two existing No campaigns ahead of the 2017 referendum.
Murder charges against an Irish nanny, who spent more than two years in prison accused of killing a baby in the USA, have been dropped.
Charities face probe after claims they may have been involved in buying and selling widower's details.