Larry Hagman, who has died aged 81, tasted stardom for the first time in the mid 1960s but it was his role as JR Ewing that brought him worldwide fame.
- He met his wife Maj Axelsson, a Swedish designer, while in England with the US Air Force
- Hagman became a star in 1965 in the TV comedy series ‘I Dream of Jeannie’, in which he played an astronaut
- He landed the role of merciless oil magnate JR Ewing, the character at the centre of the show Dallas, in 1977
- Hagman also acted in films such as ‘Nixon’ and ‘Primary Colors’
- Earlier this year he appeared in a new 10-episode series of Dallas, with a second series in production and due to run next year
More top news
Ministers are reportedly 'dropping' plans to ease fire safety standards in new schools in the wake of the Grenfell Tower fire.
A 24-year-old mum has been arrested on suspicion of two counts of injury to a child after her young children were found dead in a hot car.
More than 80 people are refusing to leave their homes on the Chalcots Estate despite an evacuation of the estate's tower blocks.