- 12th October 2004 Yasser Arafat falls ill at his compound. He is flown to a French military hospital for treatment
- 11th November 2004 He passes away at the age of 75
- September 2005 The New York Times obtains a copy of his medical records which shows that he died as a result of a stroke caused by an unknown infection
- July 2012 An investigation by Al Jazeera reveals high traces of the poison polonium in his personal possessions
- August 2012 French prosecutors launch an investigation after Swiss scientists find traces of radioactive polonium-210 in Yasser Arafat's belongings
More top news
The female runner almost collapsed towards the end of a half-marathon - but still completed the race with a helping hand or two.
South African anti-apartheid leader Ahmed Kathrada has died at the age of 87.
Cyclone Debbie has made landfall in Australia, battering the Queensland coastline with winds of up to 163mph (263km/h) and heavy rains.