- 12th October 2004 Yasser Arafat falls ill at his compound. He is flown to a French military hospital for treatment
- 11th November 2004 He passes away at the age of 75
- September 2005 The New York Times obtains a copy of his medical records which shows that he died as a result of a stroke caused by an unknown infection
- July 2012 An investigation by Al Jazeera reveals high traces of the poison polonium in his personal possessions
- August 2012 French prosecutors launch an investigation after Swiss scientists find traces of radioactive polonium-210 in Yasser Arafat's belongings
More top news
New York's attorney general launched the civil rights investigation after dozens of women accused Harvey Weinstein of sexual harassment.
Ibrahim Hussein appeared in one of the terror group's propaganda videos warning of attacks on Italy and Turkey.
Jared O'Mara's made a series of offensive comments, including joking about having an orgy with members of Girls Aloud.