- 12th October 2004 Yasser Arafat falls ill at his compound. He is flown to a French military hospital for treatment
- 11th November 2004 He passes away at the age of 75
- September 2005 The New York Times obtains a copy of his medical records which shows that he died as a result of a stroke caused by an unknown infection
- July 2012 An investigation by Al Jazeera reveals high traces of the poison polonium in his personal possessions
- August 2012 French prosecutors launch an investigation after Swiss scientists find traces of radioactive polonium-210 in Yasser Arafat's belongings
More top news
Around 40% of workers admitted to working despite being too sick for the office, a survey has revealed.
High street stores con customers by offering "discounts" which offer little to no savings - and may end up costing more, Which? has claimed.
Britain has claimed victory over Germany in a special football match marking 100 years since the near-legendary WWI Christmas truce match.