- 12th October 2004 Yasser Arafat falls ill at his compound. He is flown to a French military hospital for treatment
- 11th November 2004 He passes away at the age of 75
- September 2005 The New York Times obtains a copy of his medical records which shows that he died as a result of a stroke caused by an unknown infection
- July 2012 An investigation by Al Jazeera reveals high traces of the poison polonium in his personal possessions
- August 2012 French prosecutors launch an investigation after Swiss scientists find traces of radioactive polonium-210 in Yasser Arafat's belongings
More top news
People are being offered the chance to scatter their loved ones' ashes from the edge of space.
Celtic's Aleksandar Tonev has been suspended for seven matches for using "offensive, insulting and abusive language of a racist nature".
People are being encouraged to post pictures of themselves sleeping in "weird" places in a bid to raise money to tackle homelessness.