- 12th October 2004 Yasser Arafat falls ill at his compound. He is flown to a French military hospital for treatment
- 11th November 2004 He passes away at the age of 75
- September 2005 The New York Times obtains a copy of his medical records which shows that he died as a result of a stroke caused by an unknown infection
- July 2012 An investigation by Al Jazeera reveals high traces of the poison polonium in his personal possessions
- August 2012 French prosecutors launch an investigation after Swiss scientists find traces of radioactive polonium-210 in Yasser Arafat's belongings
More top news
British hopes for a sunny Easter break have been dealt a blow with forecasters warning of a week of wind, rain and even snow.
More than one in five school staff have had a false allegation made against them by a pupil, according to a survey.
Parents of obese children rarely spot that their child is overweight, doctors warn.