- The number of confirmed reports of the virus - where samples have been sent by hospitals or GPs to laboratories for tests - is up 52 per cent on last year.
- There have been 1,975 cases since July - compared to 1,301 this time last year.
- However, this is a just a tiny fraction of the real number because the vast majority of victims do not report their symptoms to their GP.
- In addition, there have now been 53 outbreaks at NHS trusts across the country.
- This includes 45 hospitals which have been forced to close off wards and find space for patients elsewhere while they carry out a deep clean of the wards.
More top news
A three-year search for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has ended without any trace of the aircraft, authorities have announced.
Arthur Hutchinson claims the whole life term amounts to inhumane and degrading treatment, as he has no hope of release.
After a frosty start, southeastern areas will be dry with increasing amounts of sunshine developing. It will remain cold throughout the day.