- The number of confirmed reports of the virus - where samples have been sent by hospitals or GPs to laboratories for tests - is up 52 per cent on last year.
- There have been 1,975 cases since July - compared to 1,301 this time last year.
- However, this is a just a tiny fraction of the real number because the vast majority of victims do not report their symptoms to their GP.
- In addition, there have now been 53 outbreaks at NHS trusts across the country.
- This includes 45 hospitals which have been forced to close off wards and find space for patients elsewhere while they carry out a deep clean of the wards.
More top news
Acclaimed author Michael Morpurgo has written this piece of prose exclusively for ITV News to mark 100 years since the Battle of the Somme.
The War Horse and Private Peaceful author joined ITV News in Northern France to reflect on the sacrifices made at the Battle of the Somme.
Detectives investigating an arson attack have released CCTV of a man igniting two petrol bombs moments before hurling them at the shop.