- The number of confirmed reports of the virus - where samples have been sent by hospitals or GPs to laboratories for tests - is up 52 per cent on last year.
- There have been 1,975 cases since July - compared to 1,301 this time last year.
- However, this is a just a tiny fraction of the real number because the vast majority of victims do not report their symptoms to their GP.
- In addition, there have now been 53 outbreaks at NHS trusts across the country.
- This includes 45 hospitals which have been forced to close off wards and find space for patients elsewhere while they carry out a deep clean of the wards.
More top news
David Cameron is facing growing pressure for the UK to take in more of the many thousands of migrants fleeing to Europe.
China has put on its biggest display of military might in a parade to commemorate victory over Japan in World War Two.
Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban is to meet with European Union leaders in Brussels today to discuss the migration crisis.