- The number of confirmed reports of the virus - where samples have been sent by hospitals or GPs to laboratories for tests - is up 52 per cent on last year.
- There have been 1,975 cases since July - compared to 1,301 this time last year.
- However, this is a just a tiny fraction of the real number because the vast majority of victims do not report their symptoms to their GP.
- In addition, there have now been 53 outbreaks at NHS trusts across the country.
- This includes 45 hospitals which have been forced to close off wards and find space for patients elsewhere while they carry out a deep clean of the wards.
More top news
Endris Mohammed must serve a minimum of 33 years after killing his two children with a petrol-soaked cloth before trying to kill his wife.
Three people who had been arrested on suspicion of murder have been released without any further action.
Zimbabwe's ruling party is to hold a meeting after Robert Mugabe ignored an ultimatum to resign or face impeachment.