- The number of confirmed reports of the virus - where samples have been sent by hospitals or GPs to laboratories for tests - is up 52 per cent on last year.
- There have been 1,975 cases since July - compared to 1,301 this time last year.
- However, this is a just a tiny fraction of the real number because the vast majority of victims do not report their symptoms to their GP.
- In addition, there have now been 53 outbreaks at NHS trusts across the country.
- This includes 45 hospitals which have been forced to close off wards and find space for patients elsewhere while they carry out a deep clean of the wards.
More top news
A woman and man have been charged with murder after a baby was found unresponsive on a bus.
A "very dangerous" tattooed attacker who kidnapped a man before subjecting him to numerous assaults has been jailed for life.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge went salmon fishing in Canadian waters on the latest leg of their royal visit to the country.