- The number of confirmed reports of the virus - where samples have been sent by hospitals or GPs to laboratories for tests - is up 52 per cent on last year.
- There have been 1,975 cases since July - compared to 1,301 this time last year.
- However, this is a just a tiny fraction of the real number because the vast majority of victims do not report their symptoms to their GP.
- In addition, there have now been 53 outbreaks at NHS trusts across the country.
- This includes 45 hospitals which have been forced to close off wards and find space for patients elsewhere while they carry out a deep clean of the wards.
More top news
The jury was shown footage of Rurik Jutting talking to the camera about rape, torture and murder, with one of his victims in the background.
An 11-year-old girl was sexually assaulted in broad daylight attack in a cemetery, police said.
Four people have died in an incident at an Australian theme park.