- The number of confirmed reports of the virus - where samples have been sent by hospitals or GPs to laboratories for tests - is up 52 per cent on last year.
- There have been 1,975 cases since July - compared to 1,301 this time last year.
- However, this is a just a tiny fraction of the real number because the vast majority of victims do not report their symptoms to their GP.
- In addition, there have now been 53 outbreaks at NHS trusts across the country.
- This includes 45 hospitals which have been forced to close off wards and find space for patients elsewhere while they carry out a deep clean of the wards.
More top news
Prime Minister plans a whistle-stop charm offensive with EU leaders this week.
Thriller writer Anthony Horowitz is at the helm of the latest Bond book, which is based on an unfilmed Ian Fleming TV script.
Actress who plays iconic Daenerys Targaryen admitted she didn't want to become typecast for nudity.