- The number of confirmed reports of the virus - where samples have been sent by hospitals or GPs to laboratories for tests - is up 52 per cent on last year.
- There have been 1,975 cases since July - compared to 1,301 this time last year.
- However, this is a just a tiny fraction of the real number because the vast majority of victims do not report their symptoms to their GP.
- In addition, there have now been 53 outbreaks at NHS trusts across the country.
- This includes 45 hospitals which have been forced to close off wards and find space for patients elsewhere while they carry out a deep clean of the wards.
More top news
A mafia-wife will be looking to rule the roost as she joins fellow reality stars, singers, actors and models in the CBB house.
Almost immediately after EDF announced it was ready to proceed with Hinkley C, the government announced it wasn't.
Mohammed Shakiel estimates that more than half of those he has pulled from the rubble of wrecked buildings are under five-years-old.