- The number of confirmed reports of the virus - where samples have been sent by hospitals or GPs to laboratories for tests - is up 52 per cent on last year.
- There have been 1,975 cases since July - compared to 1,301 this time last year.
- However, this is a just a tiny fraction of the real number because the vast majority of victims do not report their symptoms to their GP.
- In addition, there have now been 53 outbreaks at NHS trusts across the country.
- This includes 45 hospitals which have been forced to close off wards and find space for patients elsewhere while they carry out a deep clean of the wards.
More top news
Passengers cry out and prayers are heard as a plane endures turbulence so severe it forced the pilot to take an unscheduled landing.
Michael Swain says the 'fantastic' surgery has made a huge difference to his life.
The brother of a teen who disappeared in 1979 has told ITV News he is "convinced" he was a victim of an alleged Westminster paedophile ring.