- The number of confirmed reports of the virus - where samples have been sent by hospitals or GPs to laboratories for tests - is up 52 per cent on last year.
- There have been 1,975 cases since July - compared to 1,301 this time last year.
- However, this is a just a tiny fraction of the real number because the vast majority of victims do not report their symptoms to their GP.
- In addition, there have now been 53 outbreaks at NHS trusts across the country.
- This includes 45 hospitals which have been forced to close off wards and find space for patients elsewhere while they carry out a deep clean of the wards.
More top news
The 60-year-old, whose daughter died of cancer, is taking her case to the Court of Appeal after losing a High Court action.
Leicester City star Jamie Vardy will marry his fiancee Rebekah Nicholson in a lavish ceremony on Wednesday.
Straight-A student Andrew Jones was barred from giving a speech at his graduation because of his school's policy forbidding facial hair.