- The number of confirmed reports of the virus - where samples have been sent by hospitals or GPs to laboratories for tests - is up 52 per cent on last year.
- There have been 1,975 cases since July - compared to 1,301 this time last year.
- However, this is a just a tiny fraction of the real number because the vast majority of victims do not report their symptoms to their GP.
- In addition, there have now been 53 outbreaks at NHS trusts across the country.
- This includes 45 hospitals which have been forced to close off wards and find space for patients elsewhere while they carry out a deep clean of the wards.
More top news
German Chancellor Angela Merkel said in return the EU would speed up visa-free travel for Turks and its efforts to join the 28-nation bloc.
Colonel Richard Kemp told ITV News Britain must send in ground troops to have any chance of stopping the terror group.
Severe gales will gradually ease across the country but a wet night in the south of England and Wales and icy stretches in Scotland.