- The number of confirmed reports of the virus - where samples have been sent by hospitals or GPs to laboratories for tests - is up 52 per cent on last year.
- There have been 1,975 cases since July - compared to 1,301 this time last year.
- However, this is a just a tiny fraction of the real number because the vast majority of victims do not report their symptoms to their GP.
- In addition, there have now been 53 outbreaks at NHS trusts across the country.
- This includes 45 hospitals which have been forced to close off wards and find space for patients elsewhere while they carry out a deep clean of the wards.
More top news
Anticipation is building ahead of this year's Bafta awards ceremony which is being held at London's Royal Opera House.
A man has been charged with the murder of 36-year-old Leanne Wall in Whitefield.
Five Britons have died after the car they were in plunged more than 80 feet from a bridge into a Swedish canal.