Just over half the British public want the Government to introduce statutory regulation of the media, according to the ITV News Index carried out by ComRes:
- 51% want to see statutory media regulation
- 20% disagree
- 29% dont know
Asked about the current regulation of British newspapers:
- 6% say current regulations are too tough
- 48% think they are not tough enough
- 28% believe the current balance is about right
Asked how trust in the media and police has been affected by the phone hacking scandal:
- 66% say that they do not have trust in the media
- 65% say the revelations makes them worried that there is wider corruption among police
Lord Justice Leveson says a genuinely independent and effective system of self-regulation is needed.
First snapshot of Lord Justice Leveson's Inquiry into the Culture, Practices and Ethics of the Press.
Nick Clegg sources say it is inevitable there will be differences between his response to the Leveson report and the Prime Minister's.