- A third of over-75s who live alone typically spend 12 hours a day by themselves.
- Overall, one in ten in that age group say that they feel intensely lonely all the time.
- Some 246,000 will spend Christmas Day alone.
- Two in five marriages fail has serious repercussions for the elderly.
- Family breakdown has led to more and more young people becoming estranged from their ageing relatives.
- So-called ‘silver separations’ are also becoming more common.
- More than 11,500 over-60s were granted a divorce in 2009.
- Pensioners are the only group for whom the divorce rate is still rising.
More top news
The tennis superstar said she was being driven by her nephew when she saw a police officer and was worried about what might happen.
A team of prosecutors investigating the downing of a Malaysian airliner over eastern Ukraine in 2014 is due to release new findings today.
Juan Pujol Garcia had to go to extreme lengths of deception in order to convince his wife to stay living London.