- A third of over-75s who live alone typically spend 12 hours a day by themselves.
- Overall, one in ten in that age group say that they feel intensely lonely all the time.
- Some 246,000 will spend Christmas Day alone.
- Two in five marriages fail has serious repercussions for the elderly.
- Family breakdown has led to more and more young people becoming estranged from their ageing relatives.
- So-called ‘silver separations’ are also becoming more common.
- More than 11,500 over-60s were granted a divorce in 2009.
- Pensioners are the only group for whom the divorce rate is still rising.
More top news
Leicester City's unlikely Premier League success features on the front pages of many of Tuesday's national newspapers.
Baywatch actor David Hasselhoff has got engaged to his Welsh girlfriend Hayley Roberts.
Leicester City players have been celebrating their Premier League title after Spurs drew with Chelsea on Monday night.