- A third of over-75s who live alone typically spend 12 hours a day by themselves.
- Overall, one in ten in that age group say that they feel intensely lonely all the time.
- Some 246,000 will spend Christmas Day alone.
- Two in five marriages fail has serious repercussions for the elderly.
- Family breakdown has led to more and more young people becoming estranged from their ageing relatives.
- So-called ‘silver separations’ are also becoming more common.
- More than 11,500 over-60s were granted a divorce in 2009.
- Pensioners are the only group for whom the divorce rate is still rising.
More top news
Nearly 38,000 runners will hope to complete Sunday's London Marathon making it the biggest event in its 35-year history.
Rain across central Britain with longer, intense downpours with thunder in places this evening. A lucky few will stay sunny and dry.
Planning on going to the London Marathon tomorrow? Read our handy guide first!