- A third of over-75s who live alone typically spend 12 hours a day by themselves.
- Overall, one in ten in that age group say that they feel intensely lonely all the time.
- Some 246,000 will spend Christmas Day alone.
- Two in five marriages fail has serious repercussions for the elderly.
- Family breakdown has led to more and more young people becoming estranged from their ageing relatives.
- So-called ‘silver separations’ are also becoming more common.
- More than 11,500 over-60s were granted a divorce in 2009.
- Pensioners are the only group for whom the divorce rate is still rising.
More top news
Somewhat ironically, the Prime Minister's plans were leaked to The Mail on Sunday just days after they were issued.
Tonight it is set to become quite clear with a patchy frost in places. The breeze will keep much of the fog at bay.
Apple engineers are working to fix a loophole in iPhone software which has seen thousands of users' calendars filled with fake spam events.