- A third of over-75s who live alone typically spend 12 hours a day by themselves.
- Overall, one in ten in that age group say that they feel intensely lonely all the time.
- Some 246,000 will spend Christmas Day alone.
- Two in five marriages fail has serious repercussions for the elderly.
- Family breakdown has led to more and more young people becoming estranged from their ageing relatives.
- So-called ‘silver separations’ are also becoming more common.
- More than 11,500 over-60s were granted a divorce in 2009.
- Pensioners are the only group for whom the divorce rate is still rising.
More top news
A possible ninth planet at the edge of the solar system could be the reason behind one of the biggest mysteries in astronomy.
Philip Thomas was a 10-year-old pupil at Pantglas Junior School in Aberfan when a coal tip collapsed and slid downhill.
The chief executive's resignation comes amid controversy about allegations of doping in cycling.