- A third of over-75s who live alone typically spend 12 hours a day by themselves.
- Overall, one in ten in that age group say that they feel intensely lonely all the time.
- Some 246,000 will spend Christmas Day alone.
- Two in five marriages fail has serious repercussions for the elderly.
- Family breakdown has led to more and more young people becoming estranged from their ageing relatives.
- So-called ‘silver separations’ are also becoming more common.
- More than 11,500 over-60s were granted a divorce in 2009.
- Pensioners are the only group for whom the divorce rate is still rising.
More top news
As he prepares for the biggest match of his career, we take a look at the rapid rise of the South Africa-born tennis star.
The Winter Olympics are being sold as the 'Peace Games', but as North Korea continues to flex its military might, will the thaw last?
The event was Ant McPartlin's first public appearance since he announced he was splitting from his wife.