- A third of over-75s who live alone typically spend 12 hours a day by themselves.
- Overall, one in ten in that age group say that they feel intensely lonely all the time.
- Some 246,000 will spend Christmas Day alone.
- Two in five marriages fail has serious repercussions for the elderly.
- Family breakdown has led to more and more young people becoming estranged from their ageing relatives.
- So-called ‘silver separations’ are also becoming more common.
- More than 11,500 over-60s were granted a divorce in 2009.
- Pensioners are the only group for whom the divorce rate is still rising.
More top news
George Shaw has been hailed an inspiration by Roberto Martinez after the nine-year-old boy won the club's goal of the month competition.
The NHS is failing to hit several key targets - with some areas worsening at the end of last year.
The divorce was granted in just 20 seconds at a hearing in central London on Thursday.