- A third of over-75s who live alone typically spend 12 hours a day by themselves.
- Overall, one in ten in that age group say that they feel intensely lonely all the time.
- Some 246,000 will spend Christmas Day alone.
- Two in five marriages fail has serious repercussions for the elderly.
- Family breakdown has led to more and more young people becoming estranged from their ageing relatives.
- So-called ‘silver separations’ are also becoming more common.
- More than 11,500 over-60s were granted a divorce in 2009.
- Pensioners are the only group for whom the divorce rate is still rising.
More top news
David Cameron has pledged to reduce the annual benefits cap to £23,000 "within the first few days" of a Conservative election win.
Ed Miliband is to outline Labour's "10-year plan" for the NHS after warning it faces "its most perilous moment in a generation".
Argentina's president has announced plans to disband the country's intelligence services following the death of a state prosecutor.