- A third of over-75s who live alone typically spend 12 hours a day by themselves.
- Overall, one in ten in that age group say that they feel intensely lonely all the time.
- Some 246,000 will spend Christmas Day alone.
- Two in five marriages fail has serious repercussions for the elderly.
- Family breakdown has led to more and more young people becoming estranged from their ageing relatives.
- So-called ‘silver separations’ are also becoming more common.
- More than 11,500 over-60s were granted a divorce in 2009.
- Pensioners are the only group for whom the divorce rate is still rising.
More top news
Warmer with a mild, muggy night ahead
The headteacher of Saffie Rose Roussos's primary school has paid tribute to the little girl who was "beautiful in every sense of the word".
Ten people have died on the mountain so far this climbing season - four more than mountaineering officials expect in a typical year.