- A third of over-75s who live alone typically spend 12 hours a day by themselves.
- Overall, one in ten in that age group say that they feel intensely lonely all the time.
- Some 246,000 will spend Christmas Day alone.
- Two in five marriages fail has serious repercussions for the elderly.
- Family breakdown has led to more and more young people becoming estranged from their ageing relatives.
- So-called ‘silver separations’ are also becoming more common.
- More than 11,500 over-60s were granted a divorce in 2009.
- Pensioners are the only group for whom the divorce rate is still rising.
More top news
Diane Abbott dismissed the idea of the Labour leader standing down even if the party loses both seats in the upcoming by-elections.
Levels of safety are not high enough in prisons, meaning that reform of inmates cannot take place, Prisons Minister Sam Gyimah has said.
The Government's Prevent campaign is "simply not trusted" by many British Muslims, the Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation said.