- A third of over-75s who live alone typically spend 12 hours a day by themselves.
- Overall, one in ten in that age group say that they feel intensely lonely all the time.
- Some 246,000 will spend Christmas Day alone.
- Two in five marriages fail has serious repercussions for the elderly.
- Family breakdown has led to more and more young people becoming estranged from their ageing relatives.
- So-called ‘silver separations’ are also becoming more common.
- More than 11,500 over-60s were granted a divorce in 2009.
- Pensioners are the only group for whom the divorce rate is still rising.
More top news
A city in China has opened a dedicated 'mobile phone lane' to help texting pedestrians safely navigate their way around.
Rio Ferdinand has hit out at former England team-mate John Terry, labelling the Chelsea skipper as 'the biggest idiot'
A mother and son who are voting for opposing teams in Thursday's referendum explain the divide the debate has created in their home.