- A third of over-75s who live alone typically spend 12 hours a day by themselves.
- Overall, one in ten in that age group say that they feel intensely lonely all the time.
- Some 246,000 will spend Christmas Day alone.
- Two in five marriages fail has serious repercussions for the elderly.
- Family breakdown has led to more and more young people becoming estranged from their ageing relatives.
- So-called ‘silver separations’ are also becoming more common.
- More than 11,500 over-60s were granted a divorce in 2009.
- Pensioners are the only group for whom the divorce rate is still rising.
More top news
It will be a dull and damp day today, with heavier and more persistent rain to the northwest and across Wales.
Royal Mail privatisation report reaches a surprising conclusion - and it's good for the Government
Public libraries face "absolute disaster" and should take inspiration from coffee shops to avoid large-scale closures, a report has claimed.