- A third of over-75s who live alone typically spend 12 hours a day by themselves.
- Overall, one in ten in that age group say that they feel intensely lonely all the time.
- Some 246,000 will spend Christmas Day alone.
- Two in five marriages fail has serious repercussions for the elderly.
- Family breakdown has led to more and more young people becoming estranged from their ageing relatives.
- So-called ‘silver separations’ are also becoming more common.
- More than 11,500 over-60s were granted a divorce in 2009.
- Pensioners are the only group for whom the divorce rate is still rising.
More top news
Rain expected in the next 24 hours - no surprise there with it being a Bank Holiday - but there'll also be some brighter skies in places.
ITV releases teaser clips of the final series of the hit historical drama, set to be aired next month.
Scotland finally injected some momentum into their World Cup preparations as they beat Italy 48-7 triumph at Murrayfield.