- A third of over-75s who live alone typically spend 12 hours a day by themselves.
- Overall, one in ten in that age group say that they feel intensely lonely all the time.
- Some 246,000 will spend Christmas Day alone.
- Two in five marriages fail has serious repercussions for the elderly.
- Family breakdown has led to more and more young people becoming estranged from their ageing relatives.
- So-called ‘silver separations’ are also becoming more common.
- More than 11,500 over-60s were granted a divorce in 2009.
- Pensioners are the only group for whom the divorce rate is still rising.
More top news
The world's first ever 'hole in the wall' was installed in Enfield, north London, on June 27 1967.
America says it has "identified preparations" for an attack similar to that which killed at least 86, including 30 children, in April.
Despite the rain it will still feel muggy with highs of 22C.