- A third of over-75s who live alone typically spend 12 hours a day by themselves.
- Overall, one in ten in that age group say that they feel intensely lonely all the time.
- Some 246,000 will spend Christmas Day alone.
- Two in five marriages fail has serious repercussions for the elderly.
- Family breakdown has led to more and more young people becoming estranged from their ageing relatives.
- So-called ‘silver separations’ are also becoming more common.
- More than 11,500 over-60s were granted a divorce in 2009.
- Pensioners are the only group for whom the divorce rate is still rising.
More top news
Leonardus Bijlsma has been found guilty at Birmingham Crown Court over a £1.6 billion drug smuggling operation involving fake ambulances.
November may be on course to be being duller and wetter than average but it could turn out to be one of the warmest on record.
Paula Radcliffe has been cleared of any blood doping by world athletics' governing body the IAAF.