- A third of over-75s who live alone typically spend 12 hours a day by themselves.
- Overall, one in ten in that age group say that they feel intensely lonely all the time.
- Some 246,000 will spend Christmas Day alone.
- Two in five marriages fail has serious repercussions for the elderly.
- Family breakdown has led to more and more young people becoming estranged from their ageing relatives.
- So-called ‘silver separations’ are also becoming more common.
- More than 11,500 over-60s were granted a divorce in 2009.
- Pensioners are the only group for whom the divorce rate is still rising.
More top news
Claire Lomas was greeted by cheering supporters after walking through the night to make it to the finish line.
The boy matches no missing persons profile and police say they have yet to find any clues as to his identity.
The prime minister told MPs she was hopeful 'sufficient progress' would be made to move talks on to trade by December.