- A third of over-75s who live alone typically spend 12 hours a day by themselves.
- Overall, one in ten in that age group say that they feel intensely lonely all the time.
- Some 246,000 will spend Christmas Day alone.
- Two in five marriages fail has serious repercussions for the elderly.
- Family breakdown has led to more and more young people becoming estranged from their ageing relatives.
- So-called ‘silver separations’ are also becoming more common.
- More than 11,500 over-60s were granted a divorce in 2009.
- Pensioners are the only group for whom the divorce rate is still rising.
More top news
More than 1,400 babies have been born medically obese - weighing 9lbs 15oz or over - in the past four years, figures reveal.
Philippe Coutinho replicated his winner from last season's 3-2 victory over Manchester City with a wonderful curling strike.
A secret refuge has been discovered which protected the flightless birds from the brunt on the cold allowing them to survive.