Champion jockey Frankie Dettori's six-month ban will be counted from 20 November because he been prevented from racing since that date, French authorities said.
It means he could be back in the saddle as early as 19 May 2013.
The statement from the French racing authority, France Galop, said:
They [France Galop stewards] decided to take into account his temporary incapacity to ride in races in France due to medical reasons, as of November 20, 2012, pursuant to the statement made by the Medical Committee.
More top news
ITV today announced that Jacqui Oatley is to join the channel as a sports presenter
There are signs that employers seem to be beginning to decide that the 1.86 million unemployed are not suitable for the jobs available.
Clarke Carlisle "thinks about and prays for" the lorry driver he jumped in front of last year when he attempted to take his own life