- The name of the expedition is called 'The Coldest Journey'.
- The expedition will begin on 21 March 2013 at the winter equinox.
- It will take six months in total - crossing Antarctica to reach the Ross Sea and has taken 5 years to plan.
- Fiennes is aiming to travel 2,000 miles across the continent over six months, mostly in complete darkness and in temperatures approaching -90C.
- The SA Agulhas will take on board technical equipment and supplies including two 20-tonne tractors, two cabooses, scientific equipment, fuel sleds, specially heated clothing and Antarctic cold weather gear, and a variety of food supplies.
More top news
As the EU referendum approaches, ITV News is journeying across all four nations to see which issues will be uppermost in voters' minds.
It is reported that 100 investigators entered the US internet giant's office at dawn as Google stands accused of 'aggravated tax fraud'.
Up to 100,000 people in the UK with the condition should be given weight-loss surgery, world experts have said.