- The name of the expedition is called 'The Coldest Journey'.
- The expedition will begin on 21 March 2013 at the winter equinox.
- It will take six months in total - crossing Antarctica to reach the Ross Sea and has taken 5 years to plan.
- Fiennes is aiming to travel 2,000 miles across the continent over six months, mostly in complete darkness and in temperatures approaching -90C.
- The SA Agulhas will take on board technical equipment and supplies including two 20-tonne tractors, two cabooses, scientific equipment, fuel sleds, specially heated clothing and Antarctic cold weather gear, and a variety of food supplies.
More top news
A milder night and staying frost free, with outbreaks of rain and misty low cloud for the hills and higher ground.
The Government is launching a consultation on whether to move Channel 4 out of London, Culture Secretary Karen Bradley has announced.
The PM wants a simultaneous negotiation of how much we owe the EU in unpaid budget liabilities and a future trade deal with the EU.