- The name of the expedition is called 'The Coldest Journey'.
- The expedition will begin on 21 March 2013 at the winter equinox.
- It will take six months in total - crossing Antarctica to reach the Ross Sea and has taken 5 years to plan.
- Fiennes is aiming to travel 2,000 miles across the continent over six months, mostly in complete darkness and in temperatures approaching -90C.
- The SA Agulhas will take on board technical equipment and supplies including two 20-tonne tractors, two cabooses, scientific equipment, fuel sleds, specially heated clothing and Antarctic cold weather gear, and a variety of food supplies.
More top news
You can't say the 130 Brexit Tory MPs who forced Cameron to have this referendum haven't had an impact on political life, writes Chris Ship.
Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said there will have to be a "trade-off" on UK access to the EU single market and migration controls.
A man arrested on suspicion of murdering Melanie Hall 20 years ago has been released on police bail. She disappeared in Bath in 1996.