- The name of the expedition is called 'The Coldest Journey'.
- The expedition will begin on 21 March 2013 at the winter equinox.
- It will take six months in total - crossing Antarctica to reach the Ross Sea and has taken 5 years to plan.
- Fiennes is aiming to travel 2,000 miles across the continent over six months, mostly in complete darkness and in temperatures approaching -90C.
- The SA Agulhas will take on board technical equipment and supplies including two 20-tonne tractors, two cabooses, scientific equipment, fuel sleds, specially heated clothing and Antarctic cold weather gear, and a variety of food supplies.
More top news
Cooling down after the hottest day of the year so far.
Controversial TV personality Katie Hopkins has been reported to Twitter by police over a "bad taste" poll on the Camber Sands victims.
Sadiq Khan has weighed in on the debate over the burkini being banned on some French beaches saying women should not be told what to wear.