- The name of the expedition is called 'The Coldest Journey'.
- The expedition will begin on 21 March 2013 at the winter equinox.
- It will take six months in total - crossing Antarctica to reach the Ross Sea and has taken 5 years to plan.
- Fiennes is aiming to travel 2,000 miles across the continent over six months, mostly in complete darkness and in temperatures approaching -90C.
- The SA Agulhas will take on board technical equipment and supplies including two 20-tonne tractors, two cabooses, scientific equipment, fuel sleds, specially heated clothing and Antarctic cold weather gear, and a variety of food supplies.
More top news
President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama handed out treats at a White House Halloween party.
Hazmat suits are in rapid production as China beefs up its defences amid fears it will pay a big price for £131bn business ties with Africa.
A bright start to November but feeling cooler as temperatures drop.