- The name of the expedition is called 'The Coldest Journey'.
- The expedition will begin on 21 March 2013 at the winter equinox.
- It will take six months in total - crossing Antarctica to reach the Ross Sea and has taken 5 years to plan.
- Fiennes is aiming to travel 2,000 miles across the continent over six months, mostly in complete darkness and in temperatures approaching -90C.
- The SA Agulhas will take on board technical equipment and supplies including two 20-tonne tractors, two cabooses, scientific equipment, fuel sleds, specially heated clothing and Antarctic cold weather gear, and a variety of food supplies.
More top news
A man has had his foot amputated after falling into an escalator in Shanghai - just a week after a woman died in a similar incident.
Industry groups and political rivals warn the planned regulation will raise energy prices and threaten jobs.
The actress said she was 'devastated' to hear the tragic news of her idol's death and described her as a 'remarkable woman'.