- The proportion of young people who had felt unsafe at some time in custody had risen from 27% in 2010/11 to 32% last year.
- A quarter (25%) of young men said they had been victimised by another young person at their establishment.
- Around 23% said they had been victimised by a member of staff.
- Only 56% of young men felt that they would be able to tell someone they had been victimised and just 28% felt it would be taken seriously if reported.
- Meanwhile, almost a third of the young people surveyed (30%) said they had previously been looked after by a local authority.
More top news
Specially-trained prison security teams have been sent to HMP Hewell near Redditch, after trouble broke out on one of the prison's wings.
Household names are among 40 women to sign open letter to BBC Director General saying he must "act now" to end pay discrimination.
"We've never actually spoken so publicly about her," the Duke of Cambridge said. "But we felt that this was the right time to do it."