E.On's announcement today is the latest in price hikes from energy firms:
- British Gas imposed an average increase of 6% affecting 8.5 million customers from November 16.
- Npower's average rise of 8.8% for gas and 9.1% for electricity came into force on November 26.
- EDF Energy's 10.8% price rise for domestic gas and electricity came into force last week.
- SSE, which trades as Southern Electric, Swalec and Scottish Hydro, increased its tariffs by 9% on October 15.
- Scottish Power hiked bills by an average 7% on December 3.
More top news
The number of violent homophobic crimes have increased in the UK this year, according to new figures.
Social workers are struggling to deal with a "significant increase" in online child sex abuse, a new report warns.
The police officer who shot dead Michael Brown says he has a clear conscience over his actions.