E.On's announcement today is the latest in price hikes from energy firms:
- British Gas imposed an average increase of 6% affecting 8.5 million customers from November 16.
- Npower's average rise of 8.8% for gas and 9.1% for electricity came into force on November 26.
- EDF Energy's 10.8% price rise for domestic gas and electricity came into force last week.
- SSE, which trades as Southern Electric, Swalec and Scottish Hydro, increased its tariffs by 9% on October 15.
- Scottish Power hiked bills by an average 7% on December 3.
More top news
Actor Dustin Diamond allegedly stabbed a man in a bar in the US after getting into an argument on Christmas Day.
Over the next 24 hours we are going to see snow and ice across many parts, although it is looking calmer from Sunday onwards.
A young grey seal found in a farmer's field on Monday is making progress say RSPCA staff. He's thought to have a head injury.