E.On's announcement today is the latest in price hikes from energy firms:
- British Gas imposed an average increase of 6% affecting 8.5 million customers from November 16.
- Npower's average rise of 8.8% for gas and 9.1% for electricity came into force on November 26.
- EDF Energy's 10.8% price rise for domestic gas and electricity came into force last week.
- SSE, which trades as Southern Electric, Swalec and Scottish Hydro, increased its tariffs by 9% on October 15.
- Scottish Power hiked bills by an average 7% on December 3.
More top news
Kurt Cochran and his wife Melissa had been visiting London from the US to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary and were due to fly home.
The Government has previously described the new coin - which enters circulation tomorrow - as "harder to counterfeit than ever before".
The European bloc said that Russia should release hundreds of people it arrested at anti-government protests and rallies.