E.On's announcement today is the latest in price hikes from energy firms:
- British Gas imposed an average increase of 6% affecting 8.5 million customers from November 16.
- Npower's average rise of 8.8% for gas and 9.1% for electricity came into force on November 26.
- EDF Energy's 10.8% price rise for domestic gas and electricity came into force last week.
- SSE, which trades as Southern Electric, Swalec and Scottish Hydro, increased its tariffs by 9% on October 15.
- Scottish Power hiked bills by an average 7% on December 3.
More top news
Google executive has broken Felix Baumgartner's world record after jumping from the edge of space.
Charlene White explains her decision not to wear a poppy on screen.
Children's pocket money payouts have risen more than twice as fast as their parents' wage increases since the late 80s, research has found.