E.On's announcement today is the latest in price hikes from energy firms:
- British Gas imposed an average increase of 6% affecting 8.5 million customers from November 16.
- Npower's average rise of 8.8% for gas and 9.1% for electricity came into force on November 26.
- EDF Energy's 10.8% price rise for domestic gas and electricity came into force last week.
- SSE, which trades as Southern Electric, Swalec and Scottish Hydro, increased its tariffs by 9% on October 15.
- Scottish Power hiked bills by an average 7% on December 3.
More top news
Pair charged after woman was found being held in conditions of 'domestic servitude' in the Manchester area, police said.
The men were held over a stash of thousands of gun cartridges and more than 20 pistols and rifles, coastguards said.
James Greig asked his girlfriend to marry him on the front cover of the Observer magazine, so did she accept?