E.On's announcement today is the latest in price hikes from energy firms:
- British Gas imposed an average increase of 6% affecting 8.5 million customers from November 16.
- Npower's average rise of 8.8% for gas and 9.1% for electricity came into force on November 26.
- EDF Energy's 10.8% price rise for domestic gas and electricity came into force last week.
- SSE, which trades as Southern Electric, Swalec and Scottish Hydro, increased its tariffs by 9% on October 15.
- Scottish Power hiked bills by an average 7% on December 3.
More top news
South Korean tech giant says faulty batteries were the sole cause of the fires that caused it to pull the Galaxy Note 7 from the shelves.
Theresa May will is set to launch her new industrial strategy as she chairs her first regional cabinet meeting in the northwest.
Regional troops have secured the presidential palace in the Gambia's capital but there are fears the former leader has raided state coffers.