E.On's announcement today is the latest in price hikes from energy firms:
- British Gas imposed an average increase of 6% affecting 8.5 million customers from November 16.
- Npower's average rise of 8.8% for gas and 9.1% for electricity came into force on November 26.
- EDF Energy's 10.8% price rise for domestic gas and electricity came into force last week.
- SSE, which trades as Southern Electric, Swalec and Scottish Hydro, increased its tariffs by 9% on October 15.
- Scottish Power hiked bills by an average 7% on December 3.
More top news
Cuts to local services will continue across many towns and cities in the UK, despite council tax bills rising by up to 5% this year.
Monday will be windy and mild, with some sunshine across central and southern parts once the morning mist and murk clears.
Malaysia has recalled its ambassador to North Korea as tensions over the investigation into the death of Kim Jong-nam boiled over.