E.On's announcement today is the latest in price hikes from energy firms:
- British Gas imposed an average increase of 6% affecting 8.5 million customers from November 16.
- Npower's average rise of 8.8% for gas and 9.1% for electricity came into force on November 26.
- EDF Energy's 10.8% price rise for domestic gas and electricity came into force last week.
- SSE, which trades as Southern Electric, Swalec and Scottish Hydro, increased its tariffs by 9% on October 15.
- Scottish Power hiked bills by an average 7% on December 3.
More top news
The 'Let Our Kids Be Kids' campaign wants parents to keep their children off school saying they are "over-tested and over-worked".
Nicky Morgan is expected to defend the proposal when she fields questions at the National Association of Head Teachers' annual conference.
Phone charges in the European Union will drop by about 75 per cent from today as part of an interim cap ahead of a full ban next year.