E.On's announcement today is the latest in price hikes from energy firms:
- British Gas imposed an average increase of 6% affecting 8.5 million customers from November 16.
- Npower's average rise of 8.8% for gas and 9.1% for electricity came into force on November 26.
- EDF Energy's 10.8% price rise for domestic gas and electricity came into force last week.
- SSE, which trades as Southern Electric, Swalec and Scottish Hydro, increased its tariffs by 9% on October 15.
- Scottish Power hiked bills by an average 7% on December 3.
More top news
Labour leadership candidate says Britain playing its role in the migrant crisis would help Cameron secure the promised reforms in Brussels.
Ten people have been taken to hospital and another two treated for injuries after a bus crashed into a tree in east London.
Cloudy skies for most as the Bank Holiday weekend begins - with brighter breaks through the south-east, the Midlands and East Anglia.