- Two types of GM crop are currently authorised for cultivation in the EU: an insect-resistant maize and a potato with modified starch content for industrial use.
- Neither of these is relevant or suitable for production in the UK.
- In 2011, the maize was grown on 114,490 hectares in 6 EU countries and the potato was grown on 17 hectares in 2 countries.
- Worldwide, in 2011 GM crops were grown by around 16.7 million farmers in 29 countries.
- The area grown has increased steadily year-on-year, reaching about 160 million hectares in 2011.
- This represents an 8% increase in the number of farmers and the area grown since 2010.
More top news
The Tonight programme investigates the tough reality of life for people with learning disabilities in this country.
The al-Bakrs were devastated after Israeli airstrikes killed four boys in their family, they are now waiting for news from the boat tragedy.
Zalkalns was jailed in his native Latvia for eight years in 1988 after he admitted killing his wife with a piece of electrical equipment.