- Two types of GM crop are currently authorised for cultivation in the EU: an insect-resistant maize and a potato with modified starch content for industrial use.
- Neither of these is relevant or suitable for production in the UK.
- In 2011, the maize was grown on 114,490 hectares in 6 EU countries and the potato was grown on 17 hectares in 2 countries.
- Worldwide, in 2011 GM crops were grown by around 16.7 million farmers in 29 countries.
- The area grown has increased steadily year-on-year, reaching about 160 million hectares in 2011.
- This represents an 8% increase in the number of farmers and the area grown since 2010.
More top news
Some dogs have been at the Battersea Dogs and Cats Home for more than a year. Can you make their Christmas and give them a new home?
Selfless Donna Wood from Staffordshire has left her husband and children at home so she can help save lives in Sierra Leone.
From Sierra Leone to Cyprus, 8,500 Christmas boxes were sent out to every serviceman and woman from the UK.