The Finucane family are maintaining their demand for a full public inquiry, and have said today's review by Lord did not provide them with much new information. Geraldine Finucane said:
At every turn, dead witnesses have been blamed and defunct agencies found wanting. Serving personnel and active state departments appear to have been excused.
The dirt has been swept under the carpet without any serious attempt to lift the lid on what really happened to Pat and so many others
The report revealed "shocking" levels of state collusion, but "no conspiracy." The Finucane family may be seeking answers to some of the following questions:
- Who were the police officers involved that suggested Mr Finucane be selected as a murder target? Will they be named? Are they still serving?
- Who in the Army "must bear some responsibility" for the death?
- Why did the RUC not act on the information provided by informer Brian Stobie?
- Who within the Army and the Ministry of Defence provided "highly misleading" and "factually inaccurate" information about the handling of informer Brian Nelson?
- How high up the chain of command in the Army and the MOD did the subsequent cover-up of the intelligence surrounding Brian Nelson go?