Today's launch is the fifth time North Korea has tested a long-range rocket. North Korea has used a range of terms for the tests and insists their purpose is to launch a satellite.
- 12 December - Rocket launched. North Korea says it has launched a satellite; US confirms there is an object in orbit.
- April - A "rocket-mounted satellite" explodes and crashes into the sea soon after take-off.
- April 2009 - North Korea says a rocket was launched successfully. US says it crashed soon after take-off.
- July 2006 - North Korea test-fires long-range Taepdong-2 missile.
- 1998 - North Korea fires suspected missile over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean, calling it a satellite.
More top news
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge went salmon fishing in Canadian waters on the latest leg of their royal visit to the country.
What happens when a former president holds up a current president hoping to fly home for dinner with his family?
Following a bruising televised debate with Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump's week seems to have only got worse.