Today's launch is the fifth time North Korea has tested a long-range rocket. North Korea has used a range of terms for the tests and insists their purpose is to launch a satellite.
- 12 December - Rocket launched. North Korea says it has launched a satellite; US confirms there is an object in orbit.
- April - A "rocket-mounted satellite" explodes and crashes into the sea soon after take-off.
- April 2009 - North Korea says a rocket was launched successfully. US says it crashed soon after take-off.
- July 2006 - North Korea test-fires long-range Taepdong-2 missile.
- 1998 - North Korea fires suspected missile over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean, calling it a satellite.
More top news
As the upcoming film Suffragette is about to be released, ITV News speaks to the family of one of the key figures in the movement.
Mild, muggy air gives way tomorrow
McDonald's has now extended its breakfast menus to all day - but only in the US.