Today's launch is the fifth time North Korea has tested a long-range rocket. North Korea has used a range of terms for the tests and insists their purpose is to launch a satellite.
- 12 December - Rocket launched. North Korea says it has launched a satellite; US confirms there is an object in orbit.
- April - A "rocket-mounted satellite" explodes and crashes into the sea soon after take-off.
- April 2009 - North Korea says a rocket was launched successfully. US says it crashed soon after take-off.
- July 2006 - North Korea test-fires long-range Taepdong-2 missile.
- 1998 - North Korea fires suspected missile over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean, calling it a satellite.
More top news
Not everything the royals do is worth reporting, writes Chris Ship - but their new campaign on mental health is to be thoroughly commended.
Estimates so far put Britain's cost for leaving the EU between £15bn and £52bn - but what are we paying for, and why?
Ricardo Medina was sentenced on Thursday after pleading guilty to voluntary manslaughter.