Today's launch is the fifth time North Korea has tested a long-range rocket. North Korea has used a range of terms for the tests and insists their purpose is to launch a satellite.
- 12 December - Rocket launched. North Korea says it has launched a satellite; US confirms there is an object in orbit.
- April - A "rocket-mounted satellite" explodes and crashes into the sea soon after take-off.
- April 2009 - North Korea says a rocket was launched successfully. US says it crashed soon after take-off.
- July 2006 - North Korea test-fires long-range Taepdong-2 missile.
- 1998 - North Korea fires suspected missile over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean, calling it a satellite.
More top news
Hundreds of people have been forced to evacuate their homes in northern California as wildfires ripped through dry brush and scrub oak.
A year-long US-led bombing campaign against Islamic State has left the group no weaker, American intelligence agencies have said.
Wembley Stadium hosts the women's FA Cup final for the first time this weekend when last season's beaten semi-finalists meet