Today's launch is the fifth time North Korea has tested a long-range rocket. North Korea has used a range of terms for the tests and insists their purpose is to launch a satellite.
- 12 December - Rocket launched. North Korea says it has launched a satellite; US confirms there is an object in orbit.
- April - A "rocket-mounted satellite" explodes and crashes into the sea soon after take-off.
- April 2009 - North Korea says a rocket was launched successfully. US says it crashed soon after take-off.
- July 2006 - North Korea test-fires long-range Taepdong-2 missile.
- 1998 - North Korea fires suspected missile over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean, calling it a satellite.
More top news
A grandmother says she was outraged after her grandson was segregated from his classmates by a cardboard screen - for being one minute late.
Leaked documents have revealed the first known picture of Mohammed Emwazi - named as IS militant Jihadi John - as a student in London.
With March just around the corner it's looking like this winter will be the sunniest on record (data goes back to 1929).