Today's launch is the fifth time North Korea has tested a long-range rocket. North Korea has used a range of terms for the tests and insists their purpose is to launch a satellite.
- 12 December - Rocket launched. North Korea says it has launched a satellite; US confirms there is an object in orbit.
- April - A "rocket-mounted satellite" explodes and crashes into the sea soon after take-off.
- April 2009 - North Korea says a rocket was launched successfully. US says it crashed soon after take-off.
- July 2006 - North Korea test-fires long-range Taepdong-2 missile.
- 1998 - North Korea fires suspected missile over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean, calling it a satellite.
More top news
The Plaza de Margaret Thatcher in the centre of Spain's capital has received a mixed response from politicians in the country.
An app has been launched to help potentially terrified people identify invading house spiders that scurry indoors in the autumn.
The level of abuse and even intimidation by some in the ‘Yes’ campaign is making this referendum a rather unpleasant experience.