Today's launch is the fifth time North Korea has tested a long-range rocket. North Korea has used a range of terms for the tests and insists their purpose is to launch a satellite.
- 12 December - Rocket launched. North Korea says it has launched a satellite; US confirms there is an object in orbit.
- April - A "rocket-mounted satellite" explodes and crashes into the sea soon after take-off.
- April 2009 - North Korea says a rocket was launched successfully. US says it crashed soon after take-off.
- July 2006 - North Korea test-fires long-range Taepdong-2 missile.
- 1998 - North Korea fires suspected missile over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean, calling it a satellite.
More top news
Over 100 mothers and fathers were investigated for leaving their children unsupervised in the final three months of 2014, new figures find.
The Royal Fleet Auxiliary ship RFA Argus has been recognised for providing aviation and medical support over 33 years of service.
Buckingham Palace, London's Tower Bridge, Old Trafford and Big Ben are taking part in the event to raise awareness about climate change.