Today's launch is the fifth time North Korea has tested a long-range rocket. North Korea has used a range of terms for the tests and insists their purpose is to launch a satellite.
- 12 December - Rocket launched. North Korea says it has launched a satellite; US confirms there is an object in orbit.
- April - A "rocket-mounted satellite" explodes and crashes into the sea soon after take-off.
- April 2009 - North Korea says a rocket was launched successfully. US says it crashed soon after take-off.
- July 2006 - North Korea test-fires long-range Taepdong-2 missile.
- 1998 - North Korea fires suspected missile over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean, calling it a satellite.
More top news
Actor Harrison Ford had a near miss at a Californian airport after landing a plane on a taxiway.
The 18-month-old baby girl was in "excruciating pain" after suffering broken ribs, leg fractures and injuries to her spine, face and neck.
The "world's first transgender doll" has appeared at New York's Toy Fair and will go on sale in July.