Today's launch is the fifth time North Korea has tested a long-range rocket. North Korea has used a range of terms for the tests and insists their purpose is to launch a satellite.
- 12 December - Rocket launched. North Korea says it has launched a satellite; US confirms there is an object in orbit.
- April - A "rocket-mounted satellite" explodes and crashes into the sea soon after take-off.
- April 2009 - North Korea says a rocket was launched successfully. US says it crashed soon after take-off.
- July 2006 - North Korea test-fires long-range Taepdong-2 missile.
- 1998 - North Korea fires suspected missile over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean, calling it a satellite.
More top news
Former Newsnight presenter Jeremy Paxman has said he no longer watches the programme but revealed he's a fan of dating show Take Me Out
Prince Harry will miss the birth of his new niece or nephew as he has flown back to Australia.
Myleene Klass is set to shock Countdown fans by giving a naughty eight-letter word as her answer on tonight's show.