Today's launch is the fifth time North Korea has tested a long-range rocket. North Korea has used a range of terms for the tests and insists their purpose is to launch a satellite.
- 12 December - Rocket launched. North Korea says it has launched a satellite; US confirms there is an object in orbit.
- April - A "rocket-mounted satellite" explodes and crashes into the sea soon after take-off.
- April 2009 - North Korea says a rocket was launched successfully. US says it crashed soon after take-off.
- July 2006 - North Korea test-fires long-range Taepdong-2 missile.
- 1998 - North Korea fires suspected missile over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean, calling it a satellite.
More top news
Excitement builds among Doctor Who fans after director Peter Jackson sparks speculation he could direct an episode of the hit show.
Amazon's prototype delivery drones have been unveiled in an advert starring former Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson.
Monarch Airlines has announced it has cancelled all flights to and from Sharm el-Sheikh until next year.