Today's launch is the fifth time North Korea has tested a long-range rocket. North Korea has used a range of terms for the tests and insists their purpose is to launch a satellite.
- 12 December - Rocket launched. North Korea says it has launched a satellite; US confirms there is an object in orbit.
- April - A "rocket-mounted satellite" explodes and crashes into the sea soon after take-off.
- April 2009 - North Korea says a rocket was launched successfully. US says it crashed soon after take-off.
- July 2006 - North Korea test-fires long-range Taepdong-2 missile.
- 1998 - North Korea fires suspected missile over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean, calling it a satellite.
More top news
Tomorrow the rain slowly clear Wales, with heavy showers developing across southwest England.
The actor and scriptwriter was responsible for a string of classic British sitcoms including It Ain't Half Hot Mum and Hi-de-Hi.
Labour Peer says that the arrivals of vulnerable lone youths from refugee camps is a positive move supported by the majority of the public.