Today's launch is the fifth time North Korea has tested a long-range rocket. North Korea has used a range of terms for the tests and insists their purpose is to launch a satellite.
- 12 December - Rocket launched. North Korea says it has launched a satellite; US confirms there is an object in orbit.
- April - A "rocket-mounted satellite" explodes and crashes into the sea soon after take-off.
- April 2009 - North Korea says a rocket was launched successfully. US says it crashed soon after take-off.
- July 2006 - North Korea test-fires long-range Taepdong-2 missile.
- 1998 - North Korea fires suspected missile over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean, calling it a satellite.
More top news
Dillon, a happy, healthy eight-year-old from Coventry, has microcephaly. His mother Sarah writes what it's like to deal with the condition.
An industry has grown up around the Fab Four's legacy that supports 2,335 jobs and has potential for further growth.
CCTV footage is said to show the moment a laptop containing explosives is handed to the suspected suicide bomber.