Today's launch is the fifth time North Korea has tested a long-range rocket. North Korea has used a range of terms for the tests and insists their purpose is to launch a satellite.
- 12 December - Rocket launched. North Korea says it has launched a satellite; US confirms there is an object in orbit.
- April - A "rocket-mounted satellite" explodes and crashes into the sea soon after take-off.
- April 2009 - North Korea says a rocket was launched successfully. US says it crashed soon after take-off.
- July 2006 - North Korea test-fires long-range Taepdong-2 missile.
- 1998 - North Korea fires suspected missile over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean, calling it a satellite.
More top news
Rain will ease across central Scotland this morning but it will continue throughout the day across much of Scotland and the north.
An orangutan who has lived in a zoo for the past 20 years, can be granted basic human rights, a court in Argentina has ruled.
Socialite Tara Palmer-Tomkinson has been cautioned by police after a 'disturbance' at Heathrow Airport.