Today's launch is the fifth time North Korea has tested a long-range rocket. North Korea has used a range of terms for the tests and insists their purpose is to launch a satellite.
- 12 December - Rocket launched. North Korea says it has launched a satellite; US confirms there is an object in orbit.
- April - A "rocket-mounted satellite" explodes and crashes into the sea soon after take-off.
- April 2009 - North Korea says a rocket was launched successfully. US says it crashed soon after take-off.
- July 2006 - North Korea test-fires long-range Taepdong-2 missile.
- 1998 - North Korea fires suspected missile over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean, calling it a satellite.
More top news
Quick-thinking Derek Trow reversed his bus, carrying 11 schoolchildren, off the bridge as it started collapsing in front of him.
A former soldier pleaded guilty to a catalogue of abuse towards a three-year old boy including inflicting electric shocks on him.
The wreckage of the long-lost British submarine thought to have sunk 74 years ago has been found off the coast of Sardinia, reports claim.