Today's launch is the fifth time North Korea has tested a long-range rocket. North Korea has used a range of terms for the tests and insists their purpose is to launch a satellite.
- 12 December - Rocket launched. North Korea says it has launched a satellite; US confirms there is an object in orbit.
- April - A "rocket-mounted satellite" explodes and crashes into the sea soon after take-off.
- April 2009 - North Korea says a rocket was launched successfully. US says it crashed soon after take-off.
- July 2006 - North Korea test-fires long-range Taepdong-2 missile.
- 1998 - North Korea fires suspected missile over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean, calling it a satellite.
More top news
A police officer in today's London Pride parade surprised his partner by proposing in the middle of the parade.
Government minister Justine Greening has apparently opened up about her sexuality, as thousands took part in the London Pride parade.
Record crowds are at this year's Pride in London parade as people show their support for the LGBT community after the Orlando shooting