- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
- If you feel like eating, eat foods that are easy to digest.
- Take paracetamol for any fever or aches and pains.
- Stay at home and don't go to the doctor, because norovirus is contagious and there is nothing the doctor can do while you have it.
- However, contact your GP to seek advice if your symptoms last longer than a few days or if you already have a serious illness.
As cases of the norovirus soar across the UK, fresh guidance is issued by clinicians on how to treat the symptoms.
The number of confirmed cases of the winter vomiting bug, norovirus, is 72% higher than at this time last year, health experts have said.