- Norovirus symptoms include a sudden onset of vomiting - which can be projectile in nature - and/or diarrhoea - which may be profuse and watery.
- Some people may also have a temperature, headache and stomach cramps.
- The illness usually completely resolves in one or two days and there are no long term effects.
- For most people affected by norovirus it is an unpleasant but short lived illness.
- There is no specific treatment other than to let the illness run its course, taking plenty of drinks to replace lost fluids.
As cases of the norovirus soar across the UK, fresh guidance is issued by clinicians on how to treat the symptoms.
The number of confirmed cases of the winter vomiting bug, norovirus, is 72% higher than at this time last year, health experts have said.