- August 2010 - Cuadrilla Resources begins drilling at Preese Hall site near Blackburn, Lancashire.
- April 2011 - First tremor detected - 2.3 on Richter scale
- May 2011 - Second tremor detected - 1.5 on Richter scale. Drilling suspended while DECC commissions report to examine link between fracking and seismic activity.
- April 2012 - Report finds that fracking did cause two minor earthquakes. Recommendations are made to prevent it happening again.
- December 2012 - Government to decide whether fracking may continue at site.
Despite environmental concerns the Government have given the green light for fracking to resume across the UK.
Fracking has cut fuel bills in half in some states in the US, so could the same thing happen here? I got my calculator out.
The process of gas extraction known as 'fracking' has revolutionised the energy market in the US. Could the same thing happen here?