- Sellers have dropped their prices by 3.3% or £7,772 month-on-month, to reach £228,989 on average in December, Rightmove said
- However big asking price falls are expected at this time of year as people selling over Christmas often have a pressing reason to do so
- Prices are still 1.4% higher than they were a year ago, despite the recent big dip
- The East Midlands was the only region across England and Wales to see a month-on-month price increase in December, with a 0.8% rise taking typical prices to £158,480
- The South West saw the biggest monthly fall, with prices nose-diving by 5.3% to reach £240,438 on average
More top news
At least one person has died and 18 homes have been destroyed as wildfires rage through southern California.
Slightly cooler temperatures will replace the recent muggy weather while some areas will see heavy rain.
Andre Greipel won the final stage of the 2016 Tour de France as Chris Froome crossed the line arm-in-arm with his Team Sky team-mates