- Sellers have dropped their prices by 3.3% or £7,772 month-on-month, to reach £228,989 on average in December, Rightmove said
- However big asking price falls are expected at this time of year as people selling over Christmas often have a pressing reason to do so
- Prices are still 1.4% higher than they were a year ago, despite the recent big dip
- The East Midlands was the only region across England and Wales to see a month-on-month price increase in December, with a 0.8% rise taking typical prices to £158,480
- The South West saw the biggest monthly fall, with prices nose-diving by 5.3% to reach £240,438 on average
More top news
A dog had a lucky escape after becoming stuck in a hole only big enough for its head.
Thursday will be fine and dry in the south with spells of sunshine, with cloud and rain spreading across the north and west.
British Airways flights direct to Tehran, Iran, from London are set to resume after a four-year gap.