- Sellers have dropped their prices by 3.3% or £7,772 month-on-month, to reach £228,989 on average in December, Rightmove said
- However big asking price falls are expected at this time of year as people selling over Christmas often have a pressing reason to do so
- Prices are still 1.4% higher than they were a year ago, despite the recent big dip
- The East Midlands was the only region across England and Wales to see a month-on-month price increase in December, with a 0.8% rise taking typical prices to £158,480
- The South West saw the biggest monthly fall, with prices nose-diving by 5.3% to reach £240,438 on average
More top news
Records reveal The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit might never have been written had JRR Tolkien not fallen ill with “trench fever”
Astronauts living on Nasa's Space Station no longer need to worry if they forget to pack something - they can just 3D print what they need.
Scientists have discovered the world's deepest fish with wing-like fins and an eel-like tail during research in the depths of the Pacific.