- Sellers have dropped their prices by 3.3% or £7,772 month-on-month, to reach £228,989 on average in December, Rightmove said
- However big asking price falls are expected at this time of year as people selling over Christmas often have a pressing reason to do so
- Prices are still 1.4% higher than they were a year ago, despite the recent big dip
- The East Midlands was the only region across England and Wales to see a month-on-month price increase in December, with a 0.8% rise taking typical prices to £158,480
- The South West saw the biggest monthly fall, with prices nose-diving by 5.3% to reach £240,438 on average
More top news
The 'sugar tax' outlined in Chancellor George Osborne's March budget will "hit the poor the hardest", critics claim.
A woman who was "dragged away" by a crocodile as her friend tried in vain to rescue her is reportedly still missing in Australia.
Police say at least one gunman armed with a high-powered rifle, began "shooting randomly" resulting in the death of a man in his 50s.