- 19 September - Andrew Mitchell has an altercation with police officers after they refuse to let him ride his bike out of the main gates of Downing Street.
- 21 September - The Sun reports that Mr Mitchell called the officer "f*****g plebs".
- 24 September - The Sun reports further details citing the official police report. The Daily Telegraph publishes the police log in full.
- 12 October - Mr Mitchell meets members of the Police Federation but fails to win them over.
- 19 October - Mr Mitchell resigns saying his position as Chief Whip had become untenable.
- 15 December - A police constable with the diplomatic protection group, who was not involved in the original incident, arrested on suspicion of misconduct.
More top news
Cross-channel services face the possibility of ongoing disruption because of migrant activity in and around Calais.
Big companies will have to show that their supply chains do not use child slave labour or exploit people, David Cameron has announced.
Disneyland Paris is reportedly facing a pricing probe amid claims it charges British tourists more than its French customers.