- 19 September - Andrew Mitchell has an altercation with police officers after they refuse to let him ride his bike out of the main gates of Downing Street.
- 21 September - The Sun reports that Mr Mitchell called the officer "f*****g plebs".
- 24 September - The Sun reports further details citing the official police report. The Daily Telegraph publishes the police log in full.
- 12 October - Mr Mitchell meets members of the Police Federation but fails to win them over.
- 19 October - Mr Mitchell resigns saying his position as Chief Whip had become untenable.
- 15 December - A police constable with the diplomatic protection group, who was not involved in the original incident, arrested on suspicion of misconduct.
More top news
Actor Bill Murray has offered to pay for the mobile phones of two fans he allegedly threw from bar after they tried to take photos of him.
Inadequate pain medication means cancer patients who want to die at home have no choice but to go to hospital, charity says.
Nearly three quarters do not get paid for the extra work they do, including teaching lessons, according to survey.