- 19 September - Andrew Mitchell has an altercation with police officers after they refuse to let him ride his bike out of the main gates of Downing Street.
- 21 September - The Sun reports that Mr Mitchell called the officer "f*****g plebs".
- 24 September - The Sun reports further details citing the official police report. The Daily Telegraph publishes the police log in full.
- 12 October - Mr Mitchell meets members of the Police Federation but fails to win them over.
- 19 October - Mr Mitchell resigns saying his position as Chief Whip had become untenable.
- 15 December - A police constable with the diplomatic protection group, who was not involved in the original incident, arrested on suspicion of misconduct.
More top news
A Fifa whisleblower has described Sepp Blatter as a 'diabolical genius' - but said Russia and Qatar should keep their World Cups.
12-year-old Abdulsamad ended his perilous journey from Syria behind bars in Greece - where he hopes he can build a new life away from war.
Ariana Grande has hit out at "ignorant, mean and cruel" P&O Ferries workers after they allegedly threatened to "murder" her pet dogs.