- 19 September - Andrew Mitchell has an altercation with police officers after they refuse to let him ride his bike out of the main gates of Downing Street.
- 21 September - The Sun reports that Mr Mitchell called the officer "f*****g plebs".
- 24 September - The Sun reports further details citing the official police report. The Daily Telegraph publishes the police log in full.
- 12 October - Mr Mitchell meets members of the Police Federation but fails to win them over.
- 19 October - Mr Mitchell resigns saying his position as Chief Whip had become untenable.
- 15 December - A police constable with the diplomatic protection group, who was not involved in the original incident, arrested on suspicion of misconduct.
More top news
Northwestern Scotland and Northern Ireland face a rain-hit weekend, while the rest of Britain enjoys some bright but generally dry weather.
All this week while reporting, I have been taking photos. They offer powerful portraits of the lives affected by the desperate outbreak.
Some of the world's biggest football clubs will ask FIFA to move the 2022 World Cup to spring.