- 19 September - Andrew Mitchell has an altercation with police officers after they refuse to let him ride his bike out of the main gates of Downing Street.
- 21 September - The Sun reports that Mr Mitchell called the officer "f*****g plebs".
- 24 September - The Sun reports further details citing the official police report. The Daily Telegraph publishes the police log in full.
- 12 October - Mr Mitchell meets members of the Police Federation but fails to win them over.
- 19 October - Mr Mitchell resigns saying his position as Chief Whip had become untenable.
- 15 December - A police constable with the diplomatic protection group, who was not involved in the original incident, arrested on suspicion of misconduct.
More top news
A man has been jailed for more than a year after he tried to blame his dog sitting on the pedals for his speeding at close to 100mph.
Comic Peter Kay is resurrecting his TV hit Phoenix Nights in two live stage show for Comic Relief.
As shoppers gear up for one of the biggest challenges in the bargain hunter's calender, Ashleigh Swan shares her top Black Friday tips.