- 19 September - Andrew Mitchell has an altercation with police officers after they refuse to let him ride his bike out of the main gates of Downing Street.
- 21 September - The Sun reports that Mr Mitchell called the officer "f*****g plebs".
- 24 September - The Sun reports further details citing the official police report. The Daily Telegraph publishes the police log in full.
- 12 October - Mr Mitchell meets members of the Police Federation but fails to win them over.
- 19 October - Mr Mitchell resigns saying his position as Chief Whip had become untenable.
- 15 December - A police constable with the diplomatic protection group, who was not involved in the original incident, arrested on suspicion of misconduct.
More top news
After a sweltering day, where temperatures reached a record high for July, the weather turned.
One of Britain's leading tour operators, Thomas Cook, has joined a growing push for changes to the way tourists receive security warnings.
Thunderstorms affect mostly southeast England on Thursday with a mixture of sunny spells and showers into the afternoon.