- 19 September - Andrew Mitchell has an altercation with police officers after they refuse to let him ride his bike out of the main gates of Downing Street.
- 21 September - The Sun reports that Mr Mitchell called the officer "f*****g plebs".
- 24 September - The Sun reports further details citing the official police report. The Daily Telegraph publishes the police log in full.
- 12 October - Mr Mitchell meets members of the Police Federation but fails to win them over.
- 19 October - Mr Mitchell resigns saying his position as Chief Whip had become untenable.
- 15 December - A police constable with the diplomatic protection group, who was not involved in the original incident, arrested on suspicion of misconduct.
More top news
The SNP supporters who voted against independence, and nine more interesting snippets from Lord Ashcroft's unofficial "exit poll".
Jimmy Sinclair, who has waited his whole life to vote for independence, told us he was "disappointed" after the 'No' vote.
Photos from an historic day in Scotland's history as voters choose to remain part of the United Kingdom.