- 19 September - Andrew Mitchell has an altercation with police officers after they refuse to let him ride his bike out of the main gates of Downing Street.
- 21 September - The Sun reports that Mr Mitchell called the officer "f*****g plebs".
- 24 September - The Sun reports further details citing the official police report. The Daily Telegraph publishes the police log in full.
- 12 October - Mr Mitchell meets members of the Police Federation but fails to win them over.
- 19 October - Mr Mitchell resigns saying his position as Chief Whip had become untenable.
- 15 December - A police constable with the diplomatic protection group, who was not involved in the original incident, arrested on suspicion of misconduct.
More top news
The PM promises to double to 200,000 the number of homes built under an existing scheme aimed at easing Britain's housing shortage.
The Met Office has weather warnings in place for snow and ice until 10am in the north and west.
The plan, which would effectively strip banks of the benefit of recent corporation tax cuts, forms part of the party's election manifesto.