- 19 September - Andrew Mitchell has an altercation with police officers after they refuse to let him ride his bike out of the main gates of Downing Street.
- 21 September - The Sun reports that Mr Mitchell called the officer "f*****g plebs".
- 24 September - The Sun reports further details citing the official police report. The Daily Telegraph publishes the police log in full.
- 12 October - Mr Mitchell meets members of the Police Federation but fails to win them over.
- 19 October - Mr Mitchell resigns saying his position as Chief Whip had become untenable.
- 15 December - A police constable with the diplomatic protection group, who was not involved in the original incident, arrested on suspicion of misconduct.
More top news
Facebook has completed its first test of a solar-powered drone that carries internet signal in the skies above the UK.
Russia goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev has thanks fans for their support after he was struck by a flare thrown during a qualifier in Montenegro.
Astronauts arriving for their new mission hug the crew on arrival at the International Space Station.