- 19 September - Andrew Mitchell has an altercation with police officers after they refuse to let him ride his bike out of the main gates of Downing Street.
- 21 September - The Sun reports that Mr Mitchell called the officer "f*****g plebs".
- 24 September - The Sun reports further details citing the official police report. The Daily Telegraph publishes the police log in full.
- 12 October - Mr Mitchell meets members of the Police Federation but fails to win them over.
- 19 October - Mr Mitchell resigns saying his position as Chief Whip had become untenable.
- 15 December - A police constable with the diplomatic protection group, who was not involved in the original incident, arrested on suspicion of misconduct.
More top news
Mild in the south but colder in the north tonight and turning frosty and icy - before rain moves in.
The flame-haired prince told youngsters in Africa he did not enjoy Eton and is "much cooler" than his older brother.
Some Scottish social media users were left confused when Facebook offered them a Romanian flag, not a Saltire, to mark St Andrew's Day.