- 19 September - Andrew Mitchell has an altercation with police officers after they refuse to let him ride his bike out of the main gates of Downing Street.
- 21 September - The Sun reports that Mr Mitchell called the officer "f*****g plebs".
- 24 September - The Sun reports further details citing the official police report. The Daily Telegraph publishes the police log in full.
- 12 October - Mr Mitchell meets members of the Police Federation but fails to win them over.
- 19 October - Mr Mitchell resigns saying his position as Chief Whip had become untenable.
- 15 December - A police constable with the diplomatic protection group, who was not involved in the original incident, arrested on suspicion of misconduct.
More top news
The day will get off to a bright but chilly start, with a few mist patches in rural areas. Showers will spread inland throughout the day.
Twenty-one historic pubs have been listed for protection by the government as part of a campaign to preserve Britain's best watering holes.
Scientists have unveiled high-tech plans to preserve ancient sites in the Middle East at risk of destruction by the so-called Islamic State.