- 19 September - Andrew Mitchell has an altercation with police officers after they refuse to let him ride his bike out of the main gates of Downing Street.
- 21 September - The Sun reports that Mr Mitchell called the officer "f*****g plebs".
- 24 September - The Sun reports further details citing the official police report. The Daily Telegraph publishes the police log in full.
- 12 October - Mr Mitchell meets members of the Police Federation but fails to win them over.
- 19 October - Mr Mitchell resigns saying his position as Chief Whip had become untenable.
- 15 December - A police constable with the diplomatic protection group, who was not involved in the original incident, arrested on suspicion of misconduct.
More top news
Justin Bieber is being sued for more than £50,000 after allegedly smashing the mobile phone of a man who was filming him.
President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama have celebrated Star Wars Day by getting down with R2-D2 and some storm troopers.
Police are appealing for information about two sisters aged 12 and five who went missing three days ago.