- January: Clothing retailers Peacocks and Pumpkin Patch collapsed, placing 7,900 in jeopardy. Gift shop Past Times also appointed administrators, resulting in 507 redundancies. The collapse of La Senza triggered 1,300 redundancies and Barratts also called in administrators, cutting 680 jobs.
- March: Game collapsed, triggering 2,104 job losses.
- April: Aquascutum fell into administration but was sold in May, saving 100 jobs.
- May: Clinton Cards fell into administration with 397 of its stores sold on.
- June: Allders called in administrators Duff and Phelps.
- July: Ethel Austin went into administration, risking around 500 jobs. Julian Graves called in administrators, risking more than 700 jobs.
- October: Around 2,200 JJB Sports staff made redundant.
- November: Comet calls in administrators.
- December: Remaining Comet stores close down.
More top news
David Davis is hoping to push Brexit withdrawal talks towards discussions on a future trading relationship between the UK and EU.
A fine start to Sunday but rain moves in from the southwest later on.
A second police officer has died after he and a colleague were shot as they scuffled with a suspect in Florida.