- January: Clothing retailers Peacocks and Pumpkin Patch collapsed, placing 7,900 in jeopardy. Gift shop Past Times also appointed administrators, resulting in 507 redundancies. The collapse of La Senza triggered 1,300 redundancies and Barratts also called in administrators, cutting 680 jobs.
- March: Game collapsed, triggering 2,104 job losses.
- April: Aquascutum fell into administration but was sold in May, saving 100 jobs.
- May: Clinton Cards fell into administration with 397 of its stores sold on.
- June: Allders called in administrators Duff and Phelps.
- July: Ethel Austin went into administration, risking around 500 jobs. Julian Graves called in administrators, risking more than 700 jobs.
- October: Around 2,200 JJB Sports staff made redundant.
- November: Comet calls in administrators.
- December: Remaining Comet stores close down.
More top news
The government is encouraging motorists to think twice about buying diesel cars in a bid to improve air quality.
Atlantic frontal systems spread rain in from the northwest on both weekend days. Windy - with gales across the north and west but mild.
The band announced at a free concert on Friday that they would take over the event's Pyramid stage on Saturday June 25.