- Do not visit your GP surgery or A&E - you will recover naturally without treatment.
- Drink plenty to replace lost fluids.
- Wash hands thoroughly and regularly - particularly after using the toilet and before eating.
- Do not visit friends or relatives in hospitals or residential care homes to avoid introducing the infection.
- Use NHS Direct online health and symptom checker to manage diarrhoea and vomiting.
As cases of the norovirus soar across the UK, fresh guidance is issued by clinicians on how to treat the symptoms.
The number of confirmed cases of the winter vomiting bug, norovirus, is 72% higher than at this time last year, health experts have said.