A catalogue of failings uncovered by the mass legal action is one of the worst ever exposed at an NHS hospital, The Sunday Telegraph reported. It included:
- A former nurse whose son said she died after being left unwashed for 11 weeks.
- A 35-year-old father-of-four whose family told how he wasted away.
- A pensioner who was left screaming in pain when his ribs were broken.
- A man who could not feed himself.
- A great-grandmother left permanently unable to walk.
The hospital has paid out £410,000 in 38 separate cases, with the largest settlement at £22,500.
Most are of about £10,000 for each family for the appalling conditions endured by patients from 2002 to November 2011.
More top news
Scotland Yard are asking for the public's help to find the dangerous men who are wanted in Europe but are believed to be hiding in the UK.
A Bolton chemistry teacher is to be sentenced today after admitting terror offences - with police claiming he wanted to join Islamic State.
Average household incomes have returned to around the levels they were at before the financial crisis hit, new analysis indicates.