A catalogue of failings uncovered by the mass legal action is one of the worst ever exposed at an NHS hospital, The Sunday Telegraph reported. It included:
- A former nurse whose son said she died after being left unwashed for 11 weeks.
- A 35-year-old father-of-four whose family told how he wasted away.
- A pensioner who was left screaming in pain when his ribs were broken.
- A man who could not feed himself.
- A great-grandmother left permanently unable to walk.
The hospital has paid out £410,000 in 38 separate cases, with the largest settlement at £22,500.
Most are of about £10,000 for each family for the appalling conditions endured by patients from 2002 to November 2011.
More top news
YouTube superstar Alfie Deyes got a sense of how far he has come when thousands of fans descended on his latest book signing in London.
The last blog from woman about her final days after she was diagnosed with cancer - and the things she valued in life - has gone viral.
Ed Miliband would rather discuss working families and the NHS, but the question of English 'home rule' looms large over Labour's conference.