A catalogue of failings uncovered by the mass legal action is one of the worst ever exposed at an NHS hospital, The Sunday Telegraph reported. It included:
- A former nurse whose son said she died after being left unwashed for 11 weeks.
- A 35-year-old father-of-four whose family told how he wasted away.
- A pensioner who was left screaming in pain when his ribs were broken.
- A man who could not feed himself.
- A great-grandmother left permanently unable to walk.
The hospital has paid out £410,000 in 38 separate cases, with the largest settlement at £22,500.
Most are of about £10,000 for each family for the appalling conditions endured by patients from 2002 to November 2011.
More top news
The former boss of BHS said a parliamentary committee that investigated the closure of the stores was a 'kangaroo court'.
Those going out tonight might need an extra layer as it will be noticeably chilly.
Protestors angry about an immigration raid at Byron burger earlier this week reacted by launching hundreds of insects into the restaurant