A catalogue of failings uncovered by the mass legal action is one of the worst ever exposed at an NHS hospital, The Sunday Telegraph reported. It included:
- A former nurse whose son said she died after being left unwashed for 11 weeks.
- A 35-year-old father-of-four whose family told how he wasted away.
- A pensioner who was left screaming in pain when his ribs were broken.
- A man who could not feed himself.
- A great-grandmother left permanently unable to walk.
The hospital has paid out £410,000 in 38 separate cases, with the largest settlement at £22,500.
Most are of about £10,000 for each family for the appalling conditions endured by patients from 2002 to November 2011.
More top news
The US Navy says 10 sailors are missing and five are injured after the USS John S. McCain collided with a merchant ship near Singapore
The Crown Prosecution Service says the internet has provided "new platforms for offending behaviour"
A Public Health England report estimated 150,000 to 200,000 Britons are infected with the virus by imported pork every year.