A catalogue of failings uncovered by the mass legal action is one of the worst ever exposed at an NHS hospital, The Sunday Telegraph reported. It included:
- A former nurse whose son said she died after being left unwashed for 11 weeks.
- A 35-year-old father-of-four whose family told how he wasted away.
- A pensioner who was left screaming in pain when his ribs were broken.
- A man who could not feed himself.
- A great-grandmother left permanently unable to walk.
The hospital has paid out £410,000 in 38 separate cases, with the largest settlement at £22,500.
Most are of about £10,000 for each family for the appalling conditions endured by patients from 2002 to November 2011.
More top news
Ed Miliband will order an emergency recruitment drive of nurses so an extra 20,000 will be working in the NHS by 2020.
Sir John will give a speech later today saying a Labour-SNP government would be "weak and unstable" and wreck Britain's economic recovery.
Nigel Farage has told ITV News he would "happily" accept Christian refugees into Britain because they have "literally got nowhere to go".