A catalogue of failings uncovered by the mass legal action is one of the worst ever exposed at an NHS hospital, The Sunday Telegraph reported. It included:
- A former nurse whose son said she died after being left unwashed for 11 weeks.
- A 35-year-old father-of-four whose family told how he wasted away.
- A pensioner who was left screaming in pain when his ribs were broken.
- A man who could not feed himself.
- A great-grandmother left permanently unable to walk.
The hospital has paid out £410,000 in 38 separate cases, with the largest settlement at £22,500.
Most are of about £10,000 for each family for the appalling conditions endured by patients from 2002 to November 2011.
More top news
The decision was made after two Russian athletes failed drugs tests at the PyeongChang Games.
Sunday will be dry and largely sunny, although there will be some patchy cloud, mainly across eastern Scotland and eastern England.
County lines crime is to be targeted in a new scheme designed to steer young people and children away from exploitative gangs.