A catalogue of failings uncovered by the mass legal action is one of the worst ever exposed at an NHS hospital, The Sunday Telegraph reported. It included:
- A former nurse whose son said she died after being left unwashed for 11 weeks.
- A 35-year-old father-of-four whose family told how he wasted away.
- A pensioner who was left screaming in pain when his ribs were broken.
- A man who could not feed himself.
- A great-grandmother left permanently unable to walk.
The hospital has paid out £410,000 in 38 separate cases, with the largest settlement at £22,500.
Most are of about £10,000 for each family for the appalling conditions endured by patients from 2002 to November 2011.
More top news
How is Sainsbury's positioned to tackle the challenges of low-cost rivals and changing shopping habits?
The head of football's anti-discrimination body Kick It Out has responded to attacks by QPR defender Rio Ferdinand in his autobiography
Prime Minister David Cameron and his wife Samantha surprised diners in Solihull by dropping into fast food chain Five Guys for burgers.