The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
The storms that struck Texas and Oklahoma late on Tuesday brought tornadoes, tennis ball-sized hail and powerful winds.
Samantha Baldwin, 42, and her sons Louis Madge, nine, and Dylan Madge, six, haven't been seen for two days.
A spokesman for the UK Coastguard said it was coordinating a search operation in the Caernarfon Bay area of North Wales.