The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
Hollywood film director and actor Steven Seagal has been asked to train Serbian special forces in martial arts.
Barack Obama's greatest struggle on climate change could be convincing the conspiracy theorists at home that it's not a hoax.
Rare footprints of dinosaurs from 170 million years ago have been discovered on the Isle of Skye.