The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
A woman who attempted to get her idol's full pout was left with hugely swollen lips when her plan went horribly wrong.
All would-be MPs should be forced to tell voters what paid jobs they have and whether they would keep them if elected, Lord Bew has said.
A Para who won the Victoria Cross gave up his military history studies just weeks into the course as he wanted to be a part of it instead.