The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
Newly-released footage shows Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz in flight around ten years ago during his time as a trainee.
An ITV News/Daily Mail poll puts the Conservatives are four points ahead of Labour, as Ed Miliband appears to suffer "post-Paxman" dip.
Hiker who walked from Mexico to Canada took a selfie on every single mile - charting the transformation of himself and the terrain.