The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
After sunny skies for many of us through much of the week, all change in the next 24 hours.
Brendan Rodgers has been sacked by Liverpool after the 1-1 Merseyside derby draw with Everton
As the party says it represents the working public, thousands of anti-austerity demonstrators show they don't quite see it that way.