The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
Cyber stalkers and scammers rely on careless posts and lax security. Here are the key ways to keep your personal information private.
After years of stalking, Kerry Daynes found her pet dead in a twisted position and the message "Jill Dando" scrawled on her home fence.
The issue has been an elephant in the room for many years, and it's always been considered distasteful to debate the matter.