The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
Did the tragic pictures of Aylan Kurdi dead on a Turkish beach prompt the latest government U-turn?
Despite what the papers say, there's little chance of snow this weekend. However, it'll remain cool with plenty of dry and bright weather.
An eleven-year-old boy has shot dead a teenager attempting to enter his home.