The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
The Spaniard has overseen 10 straight victories since taking charge at the Etihad Stadium, including a derby win over Manchester United.
Mary Berry has "absolutely no plans to retire", despite reports she only intends to work for another year, her agent has said.
China has started searching for extraterrestrial life with the 'world's largest telescope' which measures half a kilometre in diameter.