The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
Bob and Mike Bryan said they were withdrawing from the Games over concerns for their families health.
The former boss of BHS said a parliamentary committee that investigated the closure of the stores was a 'kangaroo court'.
Those going out tonight might need an extra layer as it will be noticeably chilly.