The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
Temperatures tumbling again tonight with a widespread sharp frost and lows of -5C or -6C and icy spots in places
The victim was shot in the arm in a 'drive-by' shooting.
Ewan McGregor was joined by co-stars Jonny Lee Miller, Ewen Bremner and Robert Carlyle at the world premiere of the Trainspotting sequel.