The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
It will be a cloudy and at times damp morning across much of the UK, apart from the far west where it will be dry and bright.
Barack Obama has returned to the political spotlight, campaigning for Democratic candidates ahead of upcoming elections.
The prime minister said there was a "clear and urgent imperative" to give new impetus to stalled negotiations.