The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
Seven-year-old Julian Alessandro Cadman has been confirmed as a victim of the Barcelona terrorist attack.
The USS Indianapolis played a key role in one of the conflict's defining attacks before being struck at midnight by Japanese torpedoes.
The King and Queen of Spain joined mourners at a mass in Barcelona to remember victims of the terror attacks as a police manhunt continues.