The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
Thomas Cook chief executive Harriet Green is reportedly due to receive a personal bonus of £10.5m.
Some bright conditions this evening as the rain moves away followed by a mostly dry but cloudy day tomorrow.
TOWIE star Mark Wright has tied the knot with Coronation Street actress Michelle Keegan at a lavish ceremony in Bury St Edmunds.