The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
Justin Bieber is being sued for more than £50,000 after allegedly smashing the mobile phone of a man who was filming him.
President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama have celebrated Star Wars Day by getting down with R2-D2 and some storm troopers.
Police are appealing for information about two sisters aged 12 and five who went missing three days ago.