The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
The British glamour model was lured to Milan before being bundled into a bag and kidnapped for six days, authorities say.
Simon Bramhall admitted a charge of assault by beating after marking his initials on two patients' livers during transplant operations.
The prime minister is seeking to head off a Tory rebellion ahead of a crunch vote on the European Union (Withdrawal) Bill.