The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
Experts warn of bots manipulating the news agenda, social media and elections as well as the hijacking of drones and autonomous vehicles.
Opponents have accused May of being 'too weak' to face down hard Brexiteers after more than 60 MPs set out their demands for EU exit talks.
Sadly, these high-school students have already received the most abrupt and cynical lesson of their lives.