The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
Chelsea have won the Premier League after beating Crystal Palace 1-0 at Stamford Bridge thanks to an Eden Hazard goal
Craig Charles is quitting Coronation Street after to head back into outer space with Red Dwarf, ITV has confirmed.
The Conservatives have not ruled out increasing tuition fees above the current maximum of £9,000 a year, William Hague has said.