The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
This is the moment a man discovered a "phenomenally grumpy" looking cat just moments after seeing its face plastered on a "lost" poster.
US Justice Department plans to seek execution for Dylann Roof, who massacred nine black parishioners in a South Carolina church.
People trying e-cigarettes has doubled in number over two years, new research suggests.