The Government is urging people celebrating Christmas to "think seriously about opening up their home to a child awaiting adoption". Among the measures being proposed are:
- More "activity days" where prospective parents can make "a real connection" with a child on the register which have proved very successful especially with those considered harder to place
- The right to take time off work to meet the children they are set to adopt before they move in to help smooth the transition
- Trials of personal budgets to give parents more choice over support services
- Include adopted children among those qualifying for free education at the age of two for 2014
- A telephone helpline manned by adopters and an online service
More top news
Staying cloudy for most throughout the afternoon but it will feel very mild for December.
The former King Crimson frontman and one third of supergroup Emerson, Lake & Palmer will also be remembered for a novelty festive hit.
The "murderously efficient" Islamic State is currently plotting violent attacks against the UK from Syria, the head of MI6 has warned.