Egypt announced on Tuesday voters had overwhelmingly approved a controversial new constitution:
- Drafted by Islamist allies of President Mohamed Mursi
- Gives the President extra powers
- Mursi's leftist, liberal, secularist and Christian opponents took to streets to block move
- Opponents argue it would dangerously mix politics and religion
- President says new constitution offers protection for minorities, and will end political uncertainty that has wrecked economy.
- The 'yes' vote paves the way for a parliamentary election in about two months
- Cairo appeared calm after today's announcement and opposition groups have announced no plans for fresh demonstrations
More top news
Bollywood superstar Akshay Kumar hopes his new film will help keep women safe and free from the indignity of defecating outdoors.
The school holidays and people heading off on their summer breaks have boosted the total to a record 8,800 flights in 24 hours.