Egypt announced on Tuesday voters had overwhelmingly approved a controversial new constitution:
- Drafted by Islamist allies of President Mohamed Mursi
- Gives the President extra powers
- Mursi's leftist, liberal, secularist and Christian opponents took to streets to block move
- Opponents argue it would dangerously mix politics and religion
- President says new constitution offers protection for minorities, and will end political uncertainty that has wrecked economy.
- The 'yes' vote paves the way for a parliamentary election in about two months
- Cairo appeared calm after today's announcement and opposition groups have announced no plans for fresh demonstrations
More top news
Public sector organisations will have to publish information on any gender pay gap from Friday, in a bid to tackle discrimination.
Remarkably mild night for March
President Trump is cutting funding to cities that shelter illegal immigrants, but some are fighting back.