Egypt announced on Tuesday voters had overwhelmingly approved a controversial new constitution:
- Drafted by Islamist allies of President Mohamed Mursi
- Gives the President extra powers
- Mursi's leftist, liberal, secularist and Christian opponents took to streets to block move
- Opponents argue it would dangerously mix politics and religion
- President says new constitution offers protection for minorities, and will end political uncertainty that has wrecked economy.
- The 'yes' vote paves the way for a parliamentary election in about two months
- Cairo appeared calm after today's announcement and opposition groups have announced no plans for fresh demonstrations
More top news
More than 50 firefighters were called in the early hours of this morning after a car ploughed through a shop window and burst into flames.
The six-time Olympic gold medallist has been forced to pull out of the Jamaican National Championships after suffering a hamstring tear.
The character's death will send shockwaves through Weatherfield.