Egypt announced on Tuesday voters had overwhelmingly approved a controversial new constitution:
- Drafted by Islamist allies of President Mohamed Mursi
- Gives the President extra powers
- Mursi's leftist, liberal, secularist and Christian opponents took to streets to block move
- Opponents argue it would dangerously mix politics and religion
- President says new constitution offers protection for minorities, and will end political uncertainty that has wrecked economy.
- The 'yes' vote paves the way for a parliamentary election in about two months
- Cairo appeared calm after today's announcement and opposition groups have announced no plans for fresh demonstrations