Egypt announced on Tuesday voters had overwhelmingly approved a controversial new constitution:
- Drafted by Islamist allies of President Mohamed Mursi
- Gives the President extra powers
- Mursi's leftist, liberal, secularist and Christian opponents took to streets to block move
- Opponents argue it would dangerously mix politics and religion
- President says new constitution offers protection for minorities, and will end political uncertainty that has wrecked economy.
- The 'yes' vote paves the way for a parliamentary election in about two months
- Cairo appeared calm after today's announcement and opposition groups have announced no plans for fresh demonstrations
More top news
A transplant patient who waited 30-years for a new kidney has urged people in a similar situation not to give up hope.
Europe has given the Bramley apple pie filling protected status alongside several other delicacies such as Italy’s mozzarella cheese.
Plenty of sunshine throughout the day tomorrow although showers will continue to affect the eastern areas.