A High Court judge has criticised the Government for focusing on gay marriage plans rather than the "crisis of family breakdown".
Here is a breakdown of the number of families by type:
- Of the UK's 18.2 million families, 12.2 million are married couples.
- Number of cohabiting couples has nearly doubled from 1.5 million in 1996 to 2.9 million in 2012.
- 7.6 million people live alone.
- Number of married people stayed constant at 21.2 million over a decade.
- Number of single adults rose by more than 3 million to 15.7 million.
- There were nearly 2 million lone parents with dependent children in the UK in 2012.
- 45% of 15- year-olds have experienced parental separation.
- Cohabiting couples are more than twice as likely as married couples to split by the time a child is 7.
Source: Marriage Foundation, Census
More top news
The attacker dubbed the ‘East Area Rapist’ is accused of at least 12 murders and 45 rapes across California.
Showers will be focused across Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern England where they will be frequent, heavy and blustery.
Newly-unveiled UK Plastics Pact ‘unites every body, business and organisation with a will to act on plastic pollution’.