A selection of the largest annual season ticket rail fare rises across the UK:
- An annual ticket to travel from Tonbridge to London is rising 5.9% to £3,796.
- Eastbourne to London Victoria is up 4.1% to £4,228.
- Kettering to London is rising 4.7% to £6,220.
- Ludlow to Hereford is up 5.3% to £1,992.
- Peterbrough to London is up 4.2% to £6,888.
- Cambridge to London is rising 3.8% to £4,400.
- Gloucester to Birmingham is up 4.1% to £3,640.
- Llanelli to Swansea is rising 5.4% to £624.
- North Berwick to Edinburgh has risen to £1,604, a rise of 3.9%.
- Stirling to Glasgow is up 3.9% to £1,916.
More top news
Prisons hit record highs for the number of inmates released in error, as well as for the number of assaults on both prisoners and staff.
One person was killed and several others injured when a fairground ride malfunctioned and broke apart mid-swing.
The government has faced questions as to why the expert analysis of one of the central issues of Brexit was not ordered sooner.