- Shelter estimates almost one million people took out a payday loan over the last 12 months to help them cover their mortgage or rent
- Based on their figures it is estimated that around 979,000 had taken out a high-interest payday loan for this purpose
- The charity said the number of people constantly struggling to pay their rent or mortgage had increased by 44% over the past year - 7.8 million Britons
- 4% of rent or mortgage payers said they had fallen behind with their payments, an estimated 1.4 million people at a national level
- Nearly 10% of those surveyed said they used an unauthorised overdraft to help them cover costs, and one in ten of these people said they did so every month
- More than a million homeowners saw their mortgage costs increase in recent months after several lenders raised their standard variable rates
More top news
Nasa's Maven spacecraft enters into the orbit of Mars after a 10-month, 442 million-mile journey.
British actress Emma Watson called for more feminists in society and called upon men to promote gender equality in a speech at the weekend.
Twitter falls out of favour and Instagram makes ground in the 2014 CoolBrands UK survey.