- Shelter estimates almost one million people took out a payday loan over the last 12 months to help them cover their mortgage or rent
- Based on their figures it is estimated that around 979,000 had taken out a high-interest payday loan for this purpose
- The charity said the number of people constantly struggling to pay their rent or mortgage had increased by 44% over the past year - 7.8 million Britons
- 4% of rent or mortgage payers said they had fallen behind with their payments, an estimated 1.4 million people at a national level
- Nearly 10% of those surveyed said they used an unauthorised overdraft to help them cover costs, and one in ten of these people said they did so every month
- More than a million homeowners saw their mortgage costs increase in recent months after several lenders raised their standard variable rates
More top news
After decades of struggling negotiations both activists and delegates are hoping for some form of landmark agreement.
World Rugby chairman Bernard Lapasset led the tributes, calling Lomu 'a giant' of the game.
Jaw bone fragment studied by British scientist comes from a smaller cousin of the better known Triceratops.