- Shelter estimates almost one million people took out a payday loan over the last 12 months to help them cover their mortgage or rent
- Based on their figures it is estimated that around 979,000 had taken out a high-interest payday loan for this purpose
- The charity said the number of people constantly struggling to pay their rent or mortgage had increased by 44% over the past year - 7.8 million Britons
- 4% of rent or mortgage payers said they had fallen behind with their payments, an estimated 1.4 million people at a national level
- Nearly 10% of those surveyed said they used an unauthorised overdraft to help them cover costs, and one in ten of these people said they did so every month
- More than a million homeowners saw their mortgage costs increase in recent months after several lenders raised their standard variable rates
More top news
Malaysia says the women will face a death sentence if convicted of carrying out the murder using a deadly nerve agent.
The domestic Russian league match between Baikal-Energiya and Vodnik descended into a farce in the 68th minute with the teams tied at 0-0.
Libel proceedings have begun against Katie Hopkins over tweets a food blogger say accuse her of supporting the vandalism of a WWII memorial.