- Shelter estimates almost one million people took out a payday loan over the last 12 months to help them cover their mortgage or rent
- Based on their figures it is estimated that around 979,000 had taken out a high-interest payday loan for this purpose
- The charity said the number of people constantly struggling to pay their rent or mortgage had increased by 44% over the past year - 7.8 million Britons
- 4% of rent or mortgage payers said they had fallen behind with their payments, an estimated 1.4 million people at a national level
- Nearly 10% of those surveyed said they used an unauthorised overdraft to help them cover costs, and one in ten of these people said they did so every month
- More than a million homeowners saw their mortgage costs increase in recent months after several lenders raised their standard variable rates
More top news
Billionaire Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen has claimed discovery of the Japanese battleship Musashi that was sunk by the US Navy in 1945.
Friday will be mostly dry with sunny spells for much of the UK. Temperatures will be mild across the country.
Some famous Liberal Democrat names will be fighting for their political lives in the election, now just over two months away.