- April 1993: Stephen Lawrence was stabbed to death at a bus stop in Eltham, South-East London
- September 1994: Stephen's parents launch a private prosecution against Gary Dobson, Neil Acourt and Luke Knight, all three deny charges
- April 1996: Private prosecution collapses after a judge rules identification evidence by Duwayne Brooks was unreliable. The three are acquitted
- February 1999: The murder and police investigation become the subject of a wide ranging inquiry into policing - The Macpherson Report
- October 2007: The IPCC finds no evidence of corruption
- May 2011: The Court of Appeal agrees Dobson's 1996 acquittal can be quashed in the face of new forensic evidence
- November 2011: The trial of Dobson and Norris begins
- January 2012: Both are found guilty of Stephen Lawrence's murder
More top news
Lottie and her dog Marley confronted a man who had taken a laptop and goods from a Lush store in Oxford.
Feeling colder with a biting, bitter windchill
A thoughtful teenager has taken Valentine's romance to a whole new level by buying 900 flowers and giving one to every girl in his school.