- Police entered a residence in Aurora, Colorado, after several hours of failed negotiations with the gunman, who had barricaded himself inside.
- The gunman fired shots at police from a second-storey window before he was killed as SWAT officers stormed the building. It is not yet known if officers shot the suspect or if he shot himself.
- Inside the building officers found three other people shot dead.
- One person inside had escaped and alerted authorities.
- Officials notified neighbours of an emergency around 3:00am local time (10:00am GMT) and evacuated several blocks, Aurora police spokeswoman Cassidee Carlson told KUSA-TV.
The fatal shootings in Aurora come six months after a man shot dead 12 people and wounded 58 more at a cinema in the city.
More top news
Scientists find a cluster of spinal neurons integrate sensory data and unconsciously adjust muscles to maintain balance and avoid slipping.
Billionaire businessman Stefano Pessina has said the Labour leader's economic plans are "not helpful for business or the country."
British scientists believe their research may help to explain the missing material that makes up more than 80% of the universe's mass.