- Police entered a residence in Aurora, Colorado, after several hours of failed negotiations with the gunman, who had barricaded himself inside.
- The gunman fired shots at police from a second-storey window before he was killed as SWAT officers stormed the building. It is not yet known if officers shot the suspect or if he shot himself.
- Inside the building officers found three other people shot dead.
- One person inside had escaped and alerted authorities.
- Officials notified neighbours of an emergency around 3:00am local time (10:00am GMT) and evacuated several blocks, Aurora police spokeswoman Cassidee Carlson told KUSA-TV.
The fatal shootings in Aurora come six months after a man shot dead 12 people and wounded 58 more at a cinema in the city.
More top news
White House budget officials outlined the information during a telephone call with reporters given on condition of anonymity.
A prison officer is to be charged with gross negligence manslaughter and misconduct in public office in relation to the death of an inmate.
The 2017 Oscars will be remembered as the year the wrong film got the best picture award, but it wasn't the first memorable mix-up.