- Police entered a residence in Aurora, Colorado, after several hours of failed negotiations with the gunman, who had barricaded himself inside.
- The gunman fired shots at police from a second-storey window before he was killed as SWAT officers stormed the building. It is not yet known if officers shot the suspect or if he shot himself.
- Inside the building officers found three other people shot dead.
- One person inside had escaped and alerted authorities.
- Officials notified neighbours of an emergency around 3:00am local time (10:00am GMT) and evacuated several blocks, Aurora police spokeswoman Cassidee Carlson told KUSA-TV.
The fatal shootings in Aurora come six months after a man shot dead 12 people and wounded 58 more at a cinema in the city.
More top news
Marks and Spencer will become the first UK retailer to add vitamin D to its entire packaged bread range.
An over-the-top 80's action movie parody featuring kung fu Hitler and a David Hasselhoff soundtrack gets almost four million views online.
The government is treating the fight against obesity as a priority, as a new report cautions that one in five cancer deaths is caused by it.