President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
The boy was found unconscious and in cardiac arrest and was rushed to hospital where he died.
The victim, who was wearing her uniform at the time, was found knocking on doors nearly four hours after she was abducted.
There will be gales across Scotland and northern England this morning, but these will gradually ease through the afternoon.