President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
Through the day we'll see plenty of sunny spells but there will be a risk of showers too as they filter down from the northwest.
Pilots say they are rostered in 'illegally' and feel fatigued from working too many hours.
The alleged hacking follows reports of similar attacks on other Democratic organisations, amid fears of state-sponsored hacking.