President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
A police officer in today's London Pride parade surprised his partner by proposing in the middle of the parade.
Government minister Justine Greening has apparently opened up about her sexuality, as thousands took part in the London Pride parade.
Record crowds are at this year's Pride in London parade as people show their support for the LGBT community after the Orlando shooting