President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
New figures show people aged over 55 could be as much as four times more likely to become victims of a telephone scam .
The fallout of Greece's decision to reject the terms of an international bailout will have repercussions for the rest of Europe.
Largely dry night, but showers set to spread in from the west during tomorrow