President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
Leicester City's victorious players spotted a man who looks uncannily like star striker Jamie Vardy and invited him on to their bus.
Weather finally looking up this week.
If Donald Trump wins here tonight, it is a near-fatal blow to his rivals. Ted Cruz and John Kasich will be under pressure to drop out.