President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
A widespread frost across the UK as temperatures fall below freezing under clear skies.
After a vote tainted by reports of ballot-box stuffing and forced voting, Putin said Russia was ready to 'cooperate' with Britain.
Largely dry elsewhere tonight with a widespread frost and icy stretches