President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
Billionaire Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen has claimed discovery of the Japanese battleship Musashi that was sunk by the US Navy in 1945.
Friday will be mostly dry with sunny spells for much of the UK. Temperatures will be mild across the country.
Some famous Liberal Democrat names will be fighting for their political lives in the election, now just over two months away.