President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
Where were the Kids Company trustees when it was said that the dream had become a nightmare?
The Tunisian beach massacre is being linked to an earlier terror attack in the country which left 22 people dead, Scotland Yard has said.
A man who ran a Facebook page naming paedophiles has avoided a conviction for harassing one child abuser by accepting a restraining order.