President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
Adverts featuring blind footballers kicking a cat and a twerking businessman were among the most complained-about commercials of 2016.
No energy supplier scored highly enough to be awarded the Which? recommended provider status.
ITV said the move was to "focus our efforts on our digital platforms, in support of the main show."