President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
Republican politicians have faced a barrage of questions about the Trump administration's agenda during hostile town hall meetings.
Jobless Trevor Timon, 31, who admitted the one-punch manslaughter of banker Oliver Dearlove has been cleared of murder at the Old Bailey.
The Communities Secretary Sajid Javid has said businesses facing steep rate rises will get some help in the Budget.