President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
The protected area, over six times the size of the UK, will protect marine wildlife and assist in scientific research.
Police have launched a criminal investigation after two children died in a house fire in Birmingham.
The NI High Court rejected a legal challenge to the EU referendum result that proposed granting MPs a vote on Article 50.