President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
South Africa's president often seems able to survive anything, writes John Ray - but a vote of no confidence held in secret may change that.
No EU national currently living lawfully in the UK will be made to leave on the day of Brexit under proposals outlined by Theresa May.
A revolutionary cancer-fighting machine will deliver proton beam therapy for the first time in the UK.