President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
Theresa May says it "can't be right" for Big Ben to be silenced for four years during renovation work.
A 20-year-old model accused the wife of Zimbabwe's president of attacking her.
The former US president quoted Nelson Mandela in a series of tweets written in response to white supremacist groups in Charlottesville.