President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
The England footballer has accused the FA of actions "bordering on blackmail", in relation to complaints about bullying.
Cloudy skies and feeling cool
The ex-England women's coach was found to have made "ill-judged attempts at humour" but his comments were not deemed racist.