President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
Police reopen investigation into brutal murder of David Clarke, 14-years after he was "savagely beaten" to death in his own home.
Flooded in January, farming-driven Malawi ends 2015 facing its worst drought for more than 20 years. And now a slower tragedy is unfolding.
A hapless burglar has died from smoke inhalation and thermal burns after getting stuck in a chimney while trying to rob a house.