President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
The 88-year-old had faced trial in a litany of cases ranging from corruption to the killing of protesters.
A man who met PC Keith Palmer said his murder "sent a shiver down my spine".
Brothers Jayden and Carlos Cortez, aged 1 and 2, have been found safe after their babysitter's car was stolen in California.