President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
Heavy security presence as 64,000 fans gather at the Stade de France stadium for the Six Nations rugby match between France and Italy.
Today's rain will clear into the North Sea tonight, but winds will stay strong, with showers feeding in to the north and west.
Noela Rukundo was snatched off the street after her husband paid hitmen to murder her – but lived to tell the tale.