President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
Cartoons inspired by the photograph of drowned Syrian boy Aylan Kurdi washed up on the Turkish coast have been shared on social media.
A man who saw his friend die in a lightning strike on the Brecon Beacons described the horrifying moment their adventure ended in tragedy.
A restaurant is facing a backlash after a diner was seemingly sworn at by the company when she posted a complaint on their Facebook page.