President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
Nigel Farage faced a range of political views and concerns today on his walkabout in Margate.
Naming the royal baby Charlotte Elizabeth Diana will be seen as a tribute to the Duke of Cambridge's father, mother and grandfather.
Nick Clegg reads out hilarious mean tweets about himself and discovers the public think he has a 'gigantic face' and 'massive hands'.