President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
It's been a messy day for many with a mixture of heavy showers, thunder and blustery winds affecting parts of the UK.
£90,000 found under a bed in derelict house, by firefighters about to set fire to it in a training exercise.
Sturgeon has rejected the idea of a SNP-Tory coalition, stating if Tories can't win majority 'they don't deserve to be the Government.'