President Obama's choice for the next US defence secretary is a Republican politician and a decorated Vietnam veteran. Here are some facts about his life:
- Grew up in a poor family in North Platte, Nebraska
- Gained military experience as an infantry squad leader in the Vietnam war
- Would be one of the few secretaries who has been wounded in war (he still has shrapnel lodged in his chest)
- As a businessman, he made a fortune in the fledgling mobile phone industry
- Served as Republican Senator for Nebraska twice
- Criticised George W. Bush administration over the Iraq War
More top news
Performers faced the judges once again, this time with the added pressure of impressing a packed Wembley Arena.
Over 2,000 People's Climate March protests have taken place in 166 countries ahead of a major UN conference on climate change.
On English votes for English laws Ed Miliband is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.