- Lionel Messi played 69 games for club and country in 2012 and scored 91 goals.
- The Argentine beat Gerd Muller's 40-year record for most goals scored in a calendar year. The German scored 85 goals.
- The forward also made 22 assists in 2012, ten more than fellow nominee Cristiano Ronaldo but one less than Andres Iniesta.
- Messi helped his team Barcelona win the Copa del Rey and build up an 11 point gap at the top of La Liga this season.
- The diminutive forward has won his record-breaking fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or.
More top news
Cancer battler Bradley Lowery is back in hospital with "horrendous pain" as doctors fear the disease is progressing.
Children's health services are being put at risk by a serious shortage of paediatricians and concerns over Brexit, a report warns.
A veteran has been accused of tying her therapy dog to a tree and shooting it dead while her soldier boyfriend filmed it.