- Lionel Messi played 69 games for club and country in 2012 and scored 91 goals.
- The Argentine beat Gerd Muller's 40-year record for most goals scored in a calendar year. The German scored 85 goals.
- The forward also made 22 assists in 2012, ten more than fellow nominee Cristiano Ronaldo but one less than Andres Iniesta.
- Messi helped his team Barcelona win the Copa del Rey and build up an 11 point gap at the top of La Liga this season.
- The diminutive forward has won his record-breaking fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or.
More top news
The US has confirmed that it is investigating claims that dozens of civilians were killed by a coalition airstrike targeting IS in Mosul
The breeder thought little Bea would not sell because of her disability.
The four people killed in Wednesday's terrorist attack in London have been honoured by silences across the country.