- Lionel Messi played 69 games for club and country in 2012 and scored 91 goals.
- The Argentine beat Gerd Muller's 40-year record for most goals scored in a calendar year. The German scored 85 goals.
- The forward also made 22 assists in 2012, ten more than fellow nominee Cristiano Ronaldo but one less than Andres Iniesta.
- Messi helped his team Barcelona win the Copa del Rey and build up an 11 point gap at the top of La Liga this season.
- The diminutive forward has won his record-breaking fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or.
More top news
Floyd Mayweather preserved his unbeaten record with a unanimous points victory over Manny Pacquiao in their superfight
A group of nearly 300 Nigerian women and children rescued from Boko Haram extremists by the military have been brought to a refugee camp.
Unsurprisingly the birth of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's daughter has dominated Sunday's front pages and taken up many column inches.