- Lionel Messi played 69 games for club and country in 2012 and scored 91 goals.
- The Argentine beat Gerd Muller's 40-year record for most goals scored in a calendar year. The German scored 85 goals.
- The forward also made 22 assists in 2012, ten more than fellow nominee Cristiano Ronaldo but one less than Andres Iniesta.
- Messi helped his team Barcelona win the Copa del Rey and build up an 11 point gap at the top of La Liga this season.
- The diminutive forward has won his record-breaking fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or.
More top news
The live stage version of Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights has reportedly been cancelled after actor Ted Robbins collapsed on opening night.
The much-loved local character, who had lived on the city's streets for decades, died in hospital this week after falling ill.
Man City remain five points behind Chelsea in the Premier League title race after a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge