- Lionel Messi played 69 games for club and country in 2012 and scored 91 goals.
- The Argentine beat Gerd Muller's 40-year record for most goals scored in a calendar year. The German scored 85 goals.
- The forward also made 22 assists in 2012, ten more than fellow nominee Cristiano Ronaldo but one less than Andres Iniesta.
- Messi helped his team Barcelona win the Copa del Rey and build up an 11 point gap at the top of La Liga this season.
- The diminutive forward has won his record-breaking fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or.
More top news
Gales near coasts and on hills.
The Prime Minister has rubbished the claim from the former London mayor that British troops were 'discredited' after Iraq and Afghanistan
Brothers Andy and Jamie Murray have beaten Belgian pair David Goffin and Steve Darcis to take a 2-1 lead in the Davis Cup Final