- Lionel Messi played 69 games for club and country in 2012 and scored 91 goals.
- The Argentine beat Gerd Muller's 40-year record for most goals scored in a calendar year. The German scored 85 goals.
- The forward also made 22 assists in 2012, ten more than fellow nominee Cristiano Ronaldo but one less than Andres Iniesta.
- Messi helped his team Barcelona win the Copa del Rey and build up an 11 point gap at the top of La Liga this season.
- The diminutive forward has won his record-breaking fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or.
More top news
The maintenance worker spent 10 days in hospital after plunging 9.5 metres from a scaffold tower at a disused station.
Workers and managers are to stage another strike on Saturday amid a long-running dispute over jobs, pensions and closures.
The unexpected call could prompt a diplomatic rift with China, which regards Taiwan as a breakaway province from its mainland.