- Lionel Messi played 69 games for club and country in 2012 and scored 91 goals.
- The Argentine beat Gerd Muller's 40-year record for most goals scored in a calendar year. The German scored 85 goals.
- The forward also made 22 assists in 2012, ten more than fellow nominee Cristiano Ronaldo but one less than Andres Iniesta.
- Messi helped his team Barcelona win the Copa del Rey and build up an 11 point gap at the top of La Liga this season.
- The diminutive forward has won his record-breaking fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or.
More top news
Paralympic gold medalist Oscar Pistorius is to remain behind bars after a decision to release him on parole was delayed again.
The family of the bus driver who was involved in Saturday's crash has said he is "devastated to the core" about what has happened.
A headteacher has payed tribute to a seven-year-old boy who was killed in a bus crash in Coventry at the weekend.