- Lionel Messi played 69 games for club and country in 2012 and scored 91 goals.
- The Argentine beat Gerd Muller's 40-year record for most goals scored in a calendar year. The German scored 85 goals.
- The forward also made 22 assists in 2012, ten more than fellow nominee Cristiano Ronaldo but one less than Andres Iniesta.
- Messi helped his team Barcelona win the Copa del Rey and build up an 11 point gap at the top of La Liga this season.
- The diminutive forward has won his record-breaking fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or.
More top news
Investigations into two MPs on both sides of the House are set to conclude - and both are proving tricky for their party leaders.
A trade union representative said the strike would either disrupt flights or generate substantial costs for the airline.
Joanne Adam needed a new liver, bowel, pancreas, and stomach, including her small and large intestine, after a rare tumour was discovered.