- Lionel Messi played 69 games for club and country in 2012 and scored 91 goals.
- The Argentine beat Gerd Muller's 40-year record for most goals scored in a calendar year. The German scored 85 goals.
- The forward also made 22 assists in 2012, ten more than fellow nominee Cristiano Ronaldo but one less than Andres Iniesta.
- Messi helped his team Barcelona win the Copa del Rey and build up an 11 point gap at the top of La Liga this season.
- The diminutive forward has won his record-breaking fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or.
More top news
A 14-year-old boy was tied up and threatened with a machete by burglars when he was home alone.
James McClellan, 53, is suing the firm claiming he was branded an 'old buffer' and forced out of his account manager job.
A family's desperate bid to stop a teacher joining Islamic State has been revealed in emotional recordings.