- Lionel Messi played 69 games for club and country in 2012 and scored 91 goals.
- The Argentine beat Gerd Muller's 40-year record for most goals scored in a calendar year. The German scored 85 goals.
- The forward also made 22 assists in 2012, ten more than fellow nominee Cristiano Ronaldo but one less than Andres Iniesta.
- Messi helped his team Barcelona win the Copa del Rey and build up an 11 point gap at the top of La Liga this season.
- The diminutive forward has won his record-breaking fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or.
More top news
Mack entered her plea in federal court in Brooklyn. The judge refused a request by her lawyers to release her without bail.
Officers investigating a reported break-in on Friday found 22-year-old Roger Alvarado asleep in the pop star's home in Tribeca.
Billy Jeeves is said to have fled the scene in Hither Green, south-east London, after Henry Vincent was fatally stabbed by the pensioner.