- Lionel Messi played 69 games for club and country in 2012 and scored 91 goals.
- The Argentine beat Gerd Muller's 40-year record for most goals scored in a calendar year. The German scored 85 goals.
- The forward also made 22 assists in 2012, ten more than fellow nominee Cristiano Ronaldo but one less than Andres Iniesta.
- Messi helped his team Barcelona win the Copa del Rey and build up an 11 point gap at the top of La Liga this season.
- The diminutive forward has won his record-breaking fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or.
More top news
Birmingham children's services is under the spotlight again after the death of the toddler at the hands of her legal guardian.
A chilly evening and night with clear skies and tomorrow a little more cloud through Scotland and Northern Ireland again.
Researchers believe the new technique could help improve the chances of IVF, of which only around one in four attempts are successful.