- Lionel Messi played 69 games for club and country in 2012 and scored 91 goals.
- The Argentine beat Gerd Muller's 40-year record for most goals scored in a calendar year. The German scored 85 goals.
- The forward also made 22 assists in 2012, ten more than fellow nominee Cristiano Ronaldo but one less than Andres Iniesta.
- Messi helped his team Barcelona win the Copa del Rey and build up an 11 point gap at the top of La Liga this season.
- The diminutive forward has won his record-breaking fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or.
More top news
Eating 10 portions of fruit and veg every day could could significantly reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer, researchers say.
North Korea has blamed Malaysia for the death of Kim Jong-nam, the half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
Following months of speculation, the former Girls Aloud singer has finally gone public with her pregnancy.