- Lionel Messi played 69 games for club and country in 2012 and scored 91 goals.
- The Argentine beat Gerd Muller's 40-year record for most goals scored in a calendar year. The German scored 85 goals.
- The forward also made 22 assists in 2012, ten more than fellow nominee Cristiano Ronaldo but one less than Andres Iniesta.
- Messi helped his team Barcelona win the Copa del Rey and build up an 11 point gap at the top of La Liga this season.
- The diminutive forward has won his record-breaking fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or.
More top news
The owner of a dog who was rescued from England's highest mountain is being sought by an animal welfare charity.
A vicar who was diagnosed with HIV after being attacked two years ago has created a powerful video to share her story with her congregation.
A man miraculously survived being shot near his home with a sawn-off shotgun when his mobile phone took the brunt of the blast.