- Lionel Messi played 69 games for club and country in 2012 and scored 91 goals.
- The Argentine beat Gerd Muller's 40-year record for most goals scored in a calendar year. The German scored 85 goals.
- The forward also made 22 assists in 2012, ten more than fellow nominee Cristiano Ronaldo but one less than Andres Iniesta.
- Messi helped his team Barcelona win the Copa del Rey and build up an 11 point gap at the top of La Liga this season.
- The diminutive forward has won his record-breaking fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or.
More top news
Should no deal be negotiated, Dover, the UK's gateway to Europe, would be one of the places to feel the effects of this most.
The Young Vic’s new artistic director Kwame Kwei-Armah has said he could back quotas to help improve the diversity of British theatre.
Temperatures back to average for mid-October