- Lionel Messi played 69 games for club and country in 2012 and scored 91 goals.
- The Argentine beat Gerd Muller's 40-year record for most goals scored in a calendar year. The German scored 85 goals.
- The forward also made 22 assists in 2012, ten more than fellow nominee Cristiano Ronaldo but one less than Andres Iniesta.
- Messi helped his team Barcelona win the Copa del Rey and build up an 11 point gap at the top of La Liga this season.
- The diminutive forward has won his record-breaking fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or.
More top news
A painting by artist LS Lowry is to go on show to the public for the first time.
A third of Olympic and world championships medals have been won by athletes with allegedly suspicious doping test results, report claims
Migrants trying to get to Britain made a mass attempt to break into entrance to the Channel Tunnel near Calais in France late Saturday.