- Moira Anderson, 11, vanished in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire, in February 1957
- Bus driver and convicted paedophile Alexander Gartshore, who died in 2006, has been linked to her disappearance
- Moira's family think she could have been killed and buried in Old Monkland Cemetery in the plot of Sinclair Upton, acquaintance to Gartshore
- Moira's body was never found, Scotland's Lord Advocate, Frank Mulholland, ordered cold case detectives to reopen the case as a murder investigation last year
- Last month Sheriff Frank Pieri granted a request to open the grave
- The process is expected to last several days
More top news
An eight-year-old girl has been taken to hospital after she was reportedly stabbed in Edinburgh.
Severe gales for a time in the far northwest tonight and heavy rain across wales
It may never be known what happened when four band members of Viola Beach were killed when their plunged into a canal, an inquest has heard.