- Moira Anderson, 11, vanished in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire, in February 1957
- Bus driver and convicted paedophile Alexander Gartshore, who died in 2006, has been linked to her disappearance
- Moira's family think she could have been killed and buried in Old Monkland Cemetery in the plot of Sinclair Upton, acquaintance to Gartshore
- Moira's body was never found, Scotland's Lord Advocate, Frank Mulholland, ordered cold case detectives to reopen the case as a murder investigation last year
- Last month Sheriff Frank Pieri granted a request to open the grave
- The process is expected to last several days
More top news
The Australian government said Russia's participation in the Rio 2016 Games risks damaging the reputation of the Olympic movement.
PM Malcolm Turnbull said people convicted of terrorism-related charges would be held indefinitely if they pose an ongoing threat to society.
Democratic National Committee chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz stands down after leaked emails show party actively favoured Hillary Clinton.