- Moira Anderson, 11, vanished in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire, in February 1957
- Bus driver and convicted paedophile Alexander Gartshore, who died in 2006, has been linked to her disappearance
- Moira's family think she could have been killed and buried in Old Monkland Cemetery in the plot of Sinclair Upton, acquaintance to Gartshore
- Moira's body was never found, Scotland's Lord Advocate, Frank Mulholland, ordered cold case detectives to reopen the case as a murder investigation last year
- Last month Sheriff Frank Pieri granted a request to open the grave
- The process is expected to last several days
More top news
YouTube superstar Alfie Deyes got a sense of how far he has come when thousands of fans descended on his latest book signing in London.
The last blog from woman about her final days after she was diagnosed with cancer - and the things she valued in life - has gone viral.
Ed Miliband would rather discuss working families and the NHS, but the question of English 'home rule' looms large over Labour's conference.