- Moira Anderson, 11, vanished in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire, in February 1957
- Bus driver and convicted paedophile Alexander Gartshore, who died in 2006, has been linked to her disappearance
- Moira's family think she could have been killed and buried in Old Monkland Cemetery in the plot of Sinclair Upton, acquaintance to Gartshore
- Moira's body was never found, Scotland's Lord Advocate, Frank Mulholland, ordered cold case detectives to reopen the case as a murder investigation last year
- Last month Sheriff Frank Pieri granted a request to open the grave
- The process is expected to last several days
More top news
A woman died during scenes of panic at a Kenyan university after police carried out a terror drill without the students being told first.
The Prince of Wales said world companies 'pay no attention' to the damage their supply chains cause to forests.
Investigators say a faulty rudder system and the pilots' responses contributed to an AirAsia jet crash last year which killed 162 people.