- Moira Anderson, 11, vanished in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire, in February 1957
- Bus driver and convicted paedophile Alexander Gartshore, who died in 2006, has been linked to her disappearance
- Moira's family think she could have been killed and buried in Old Monkland Cemetery in the plot of Sinclair Upton, acquaintance to Gartshore
- Moira's body was never found, Scotland's Lord Advocate, Frank Mulholland, ordered cold case detectives to reopen the case as a murder investigation last year
- Last month Sheriff Frank Pieri granted a request to open the grave
- The process is expected to last several days
More top news
A drug addict whose sickening attack on a disabled pensioner caused outrage around the world will be sentenced for trying to mug him today.
Study suggest that the number of takeaway outlets has significantly increased over the last 20 years, particularly in the poorest areas.
A teachers' union has suggested the number of teachers facing abuse on social media has more than doubled in just 12 months.