- Moira Anderson, 11, vanished in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire, in February 1957
- Bus driver and convicted paedophile Alexander Gartshore, who died in 2006, has been linked to her disappearance
- Moira's family think she could have been killed and buried in Old Monkland Cemetery in the plot of Sinclair Upton, acquaintance to Gartshore
- Moira's body was never found, Scotland's Lord Advocate, Frank Mulholland, ordered cold case detectives to reopen the case as a murder investigation last year
- Last month Sheriff Frank Pieri granted a request to open the grave
- The process is expected to last several days
More top news
Every school rated as inadequate by Ofsted will be turned into academies under new laws, the Education Secretary has announced.
The new Teletubbies have been revealed - complete with touch-screens on their stomachs.
US whistleblower Edward Snowden has said becoming an "international fugitive" has been worth it.