- Moira Anderson, 11, vanished in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire, in February 1957
- Bus driver and convicted paedophile Alexander Gartshore, who died in 2006, has been linked to her disappearance
- Moira's family think she could have been killed and buried in Old Monkland Cemetery in the plot of Sinclair Upton, acquaintance to Gartshore
- Moira's body was never found, Scotland's Lord Advocate, Frank Mulholland, ordered cold case detectives to reopen the case as a murder investigation last year
- Last month Sheriff Frank Pieri granted a request to open the grave
- The process is expected to last several days
More top news
A police helicopter went on a 40-mile search after a 999 call about a cry for help - only to discover it was a goat and her kid.
A boy from Manchester was excluded from taking part in World Book Day for dressing at Fifty Shades of Grey character.
The parents of a terminally-ill toddler have set up a heartbreaking bucket list of things they want him to experience before he dies.