- Moira Anderson, 11, vanished in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire, in February 1957
- Bus driver and convicted paedophile Alexander Gartshore, who died in 2006, has been linked to her disappearance
- Moira's family think she could have been killed and buried in Old Monkland Cemetery in the plot of Sinclair Upton, acquaintance to Gartshore
- Moira's body was never found, Scotland's Lord Advocate, Frank Mulholland, ordered cold case detectives to reopen the case as a murder investigation last year
- Last month Sheriff Frank Pieri granted a request to open the grave
- The process is expected to last several days
More top news
Migrants desperate to reach Britain from Calais have told how making the dangerous journey is their "last chance".
Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 vanished more than a year ago carrying 239 people on board. Here is a look at the key events since.
Investigators have released images of two more people they wish to speak to about the Hillsborough tragedy.