- Moira Anderson, 11, vanished in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire, in February 1957
- Bus driver and convicted paedophile Alexander Gartshore, who died in 2006, has been linked to her disappearance
- Moira's family think she could have been killed and buried in Old Monkland Cemetery in the plot of Sinclair Upton, acquaintance to Gartshore
- Moira's body was never found, Scotland's Lord Advocate, Frank Mulholland, ordered cold case detectives to reopen the case as a murder investigation last year
- Last month Sheriff Frank Pieri granted a request to open the grave
- The process is expected to last several days
More top news
Warming up over the next few days. Mostly dry in the south, rain at times in the north.
A petition for a statue of rapper Missy Elliott to replace a Confederate monument in Virginia has been signed by more than 15,000 people.
Grace Mugabe, the wife of Zimbabwean president Robert Mugabe, has returned home from Johannesburg.