- Founded in Leicester, where its headquarters are still located today, in 1935
- Britain's only specialist nationwide camera retailer with 192 stores
- Employs about 2,000 people
- Underwent a major overhaul in 2007 with many stores closing
- Almost collapsed in 2009 but was rescued by its main lender HSBC in a controversial deal that saw the bank taking 50% of the business in return for writing off their loans.
Some 2000 jobs have been put at risk as camera chain Jessops became the first retail casualty of 2013, with store closures "inevitable".
Jessops looks set to become the first high street casualty of 2013 as the retailer is understood to be on the brink of administration.