A foul-smelling cloud of gas which wafted over to parts of the south east from a chemical factory in France has prompted calls to emergency services.
The gas mercaptan was accidentally released from a factory in the northern city of Rouen travelled across the English Channel early this morning.
People in Kent, Sussex, Surrey and parts of London reported the unpleasant aroma but emergency services said the gas is harmless and presents no danger to the public.
Sussex Police said they had received more than 25 calls by 9.15am, neighbouring Surrey had 15 calls by 11.30am, and Kent Police reportedly had a large number of calls.
Mercaptan is added to municipal gas to alert people to gas leaks, among other uses.
More top news
The two brightest planets in the solar system will appear close to collision tonight, an illusion caused by line of sight.
US superstore apologises after a customer who had his request for a Confederate flag cake rejected managed to get an ISIS flag cake instead.
After Heather Watson becomes the latest tennis star reprimanded for 'audible obscenity', we ask - what happens to the players who swear?