Ahead of the Football Association's decision to charge midfielder Edin Hazard, Chelsea's Football Club interim manager spoke about how the player reacted in training.
When pressed on the ball boy incident, Rafa Benitez said: "For us we lost a player the other day and we couldn't score. We had ten players with one injured on the pitch."
Benitez refused to be drawn further on what happened, but a club spokesman said: "The club on the evening recognised the seriousness of the incident, the player recognised that he was wrong to react in that way. The appropriate apologies were made. The club made every effort to make those happen.
"Edin recognised it quickly and those apologies were made and they were accepted. He made those apologies privately in the dressing room. He made a public apology and Rafa dealt with it in the press conference."
Rafa Benitez went on to answer questions on how Hazard has been responding in training and whether the incident had affected the player mentally.
More top news
Crowds of people gathered in Sandringham on Sunday to catch a glimpse of Princess Charlotte as she arrived for her official christening.
The Chancellor has "found" the £12bn of benefit cuts promised in the Tory election manifesto - here's what we know about the savings so far.
The pair, including a man in his 50s, were struck around midday on the Pen y Fan mountain range in Powys, mid-Wales.