Three shot dead, hundreds injured in Egypt clashes

Officials said three people have been shot dead in Egypt's port city during the funerals of 33 protesters killed in a wave of violence on Saturday.

An 18-year-old man was the first confirmed victim of Sunday's violence and Abdel Rahman Farag, Port Said's head of hospitals, told Reuters that a further two other people were killed by gunshot wounds.

More than 416 people suffered from teargas inhalation, while 17 sustained gunshot wounds, he added.

More than 30 people people were killed yesterday - mostly by gunshots - when residents went on the rampage after a court sentenced 21 people to death for their role in deadly soccer violence at a stadium there last year.

Advertisement

Army warns of Egypt collapse

The head of the Egyptian military has warned the ongoing political conflict could lead to the collapse of the state. Seven people have reportedly been shot dead and hundreds injured in Port Said during the funerals of 33 protesters killed in the city