The second phase of the HS2 high speed rail network is still subject to a consultation, but this is what the government is proposing so far:
- Consultation to start this year
- Final route chosen by end of 2014
- Leeds to London journey time reduced from 1h28m to 41 minutes
- Manchester to London journey time reduced from 1h58m to 58 minutes
- Building could begin around 2025 with the line opening by 2033
More top news
Unsettled at this time
A senior nurse who filmed himself raping unconscious patients at the John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford has been convicted.
Ed Miliband faces a backlash over his party's use of quotes from some of Britain's biggest businesses to warn about the risks of an EU exit.