The second phase of the HS2 high speed rail network is still subject to a consultation, but this is what the government is proposing so far:
- Consultation to start this year
- Final route chosen by end of 2014
- Leeds to London journey time reduced from 1h28m to 41 minutes
- Manchester to London journey time reduced from 1h58m to 58 minutes
- Building could begin around 2025 with the line opening by 2033
More top news
Five-times major winner Maria Sharapova has pulled out of the US Open tennis championships due to a leg injury.
Police are hunting for a mother who has disappeared with her 10-week-old baby.
The president will restore Denali as the name of the USA's highest mountain, which has been known as Mount McKinley.