The second phase of the HS2 high speed rail network is still subject to a consultation, but this is what the government is proposing so far:
- Consultation to start this year
- Final route chosen by end of 2014
- Leeds to London journey time reduced from 1h28m to 41 minutes
- Manchester to London journey time reduced from 1h58m to 58 minutes
- Building could begin around 2025 with the line opening by 2033
More top news
The launch was made in defiance of United Nations sanctions barring North Korea from using ballistic missile technology.
David Cameron has raised concerns after figures showed 100 babies spent time living behind bars last year.
About 124,000 patients had to wait for at least 12 hours in accident and emergency departments last year, according to an investigation.