The second phase of the HS2 high speed rail network is still subject to a consultation, but this is what the government is proposing so far:
- Consultation to start this year
- Final route chosen by end of 2014
- Leeds to London journey time reduced from 1h28m to 41 minutes
- Manchester to London journey time reduced from 1h58m to 58 minutes
- Building could begin around 2025 with the line opening by 2033
More top news
Newly released audio recording of Mohamed Emwazi, aka "Jihadi John", reveals his claims that he was threatened by MI5 five years ago.
"I really think that the focus of your outrage should be people who throw gay men off cliffs", said London Mayor, Boris Johnson.
Archaeologists have discovered eight mass graves holding more than 200 bodies between them hidden beneath a supermarket in Paris.