The second phase of the HS2 high speed rail network is still subject to a consultation, but this is what the government is proposing so far:
- Consultation to start this year
- Final route chosen by end of 2014
- Leeds to London journey time reduced from 1h28m to 41 minutes
- Manchester to London journey time reduced from 1h58m to 58 minutes
- Building could begin around 2025 with the line opening by 2033
More top news
Fine start to the week for most but turning wet and windy from Wednesday.
Thousands of people have lined the banks of the Mersey to see Cunard's three flagship ocean liners sail down the river.
Claims that surgeons used an old saw found in a cupboard to amputate a patient's leg are being investigated.