The second phase of the HS2 high speed rail network is still subject to a consultation, but this is what the government is proposing so far:
- Consultation to start this year
- Final route chosen by end of 2014
- Leeds to London journey time reduced from 1h28m to 41 minutes
- Manchester to London journey time reduced from 1h58m to 58 minutes
- Building could begin around 2025 with the line opening by 2033
More top news
Tonight it'll stay wet across northern areas of Britain, with further showers pushing into the South West.
A boy who has spent three years caring for his older brother after he was injured falling off a motorbike has been honoured by Prince Harry.
This week will be more changeable with the remnants of ex-hurricane Joaquin heading towards the UK, bringing wet and windier conditions.