While the precise route of the HS2 high speed rail extension is subject to a consultation, a number of cities and towns are expected to receive new station facilities or improvements to existing ones.
- Manchester - alongside the existing Piccadilly station
- Manchester Airport - interchange by the M56 between Warburton Green and Davenport Green
- East Midlands - at Toton, between Nottingham and Derby and one mile from the M1
- Crewe - dedicated link alongside the high speed line to link up with standard trains - reducing journey times to Liverpool and Glasgow.
- Leeds - at New Lane in the South bank area connected to the main station by walkway
- Sheffield - at Meadowhall shopping centre
More top news
The people behind the moving tribute marking 100 years since the Battle of the Somme were unknown - until now.
Gunmen have stormed a restaurant in Dhaka, Bangladesh, taking a number of hostages and opening fire at police. Here's what we know.
Wales came from behind to make history as a 3-1 win propelled them into the last four of a major football tournament for the first time.