While the precise route of the HS2 high speed rail extension is subject to a consultation, a number of cities and towns are expected to receive new station facilities or improvements to existing ones.
- Manchester - alongside the existing Piccadilly station
- Manchester Airport - interchange by the M56 between Warburton Green and Davenport Green
- East Midlands - at Toton, between Nottingham and Derby and one mile from the M1
- Crewe - dedicated link alongside the high speed line to link up with standard trains - reducing journey times to Liverpool and Glasgow.
- Leeds - at New Lane in the South bank area connected to the main station by walkway
- Sheffield - at Meadowhall shopping centre
More top news
Airstrikes were launched into Syria and tanks reportedly sent in as Turkey targets militants threatening its border.
Owen Smith has pledged to block formal Brexit negotiations until the government offers a second referendum or calls a general election.
The former pin up said she couldn't open her eye for about four hours - but the scenes have been cut from the show.