While the precise route of the HS2 high speed rail extension is subject to a consultation, a number of cities and towns are expected to receive new station facilities or improvements to existing ones.
- Manchester - alongside the existing Piccadilly station
- Manchester Airport - interchange by the M56 between Warburton Green and Davenport Green
- East Midlands - at Toton, between Nottingham and Derby and one mile from the M1
- Crewe - dedicated link alongside the high speed line to link up with standard trains - reducing journey times to Liverpool and Glasgow.
- Leeds - at New Lane in the South bank area connected to the main station by walkway
- Sheffield - at Meadowhall shopping centre
More top news
It will be hotting up as we approach the weekend as we draw in very warm air from the Continent - it'll feel more like summer than spring.
A new scam aimed at people who own Apple iPhones steals their account information through a text.
Tomorrow’s Congress is expected to be dominated by claims of North Korea’s nuclear prowess.