While the precise route of the HS2 high speed rail extension is subject to a consultation, a number of cities and towns are expected to receive new station facilities or improvements to existing ones.
- Manchester - alongside the existing Piccadilly station
- Manchester Airport - interchange by the M56 between Warburton Green and Davenport Green
- East Midlands - at Toton, between Nottingham and Derby and one mile from the M1
- Crewe - dedicated link alongside the high speed line to link up with standard trains - reducing journey times to Liverpool and Glasgow.
- Leeds - at New Lane in the South bank area connected to the main station by walkway
- Sheffield - at Meadowhall shopping centre
More top news
An intrepid group of activists is taking its message of independence to new heights by leaving giant 'Yeses' on hillsides across Scotland.
Newly-released documents reveal how British spymasters used an enticing female agent to test the mettle of rookie spies.
Researchers studying the King's remains believe he died after sustaining numerous blows to the head.