While the precise route of the HS2 high speed rail extension is subject to a consultation, a number of cities and towns are expected to receive new station facilities or improvements to existing ones.
- Manchester - alongside the existing Piccadilly station
- Manchester Airport - interchange by the M56 between Warburton Green and Davenport Green
- East Midlands - at Toton, between Nottingham and Derby and one mile from the M1
- Crewe - dedicated link alongside the high speed line to link up with standard trains - reducing journey times to Liverpool and Glasgow.
- Leeds - at New Lane in the South bank area connected to the main station by walkway
- Sheffield - at Meadowhall shopping centre
More top news
Airbus have filed a patent for a supersonic aircraft that could travel from London to New York in an hour.
Natalie Sharp and Christine Bicknell appeared in court over an alleged incident at a Lidl superstore in Wallington, south London.
Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo went onto a street in the Spanish capital heavily disguised, much to the shock of a young boy.