While the precise route of the HS2 high speed rail extension is subject to a consultation, a number of cities and towns are expected to receive new station facilities or improvements to existing ones.
- Manchester - alongside the existing Piccadilly station
- Manchester Airport - interchange by the M56 between Warburton Green and Davenport Green
- East Midlands - at Toton, between Nottingham and Derby and one mile from the M1
- Crewe - dedicated link alongside the high speed line to link up with standard trains - reducing journey times to Liverpool and Glasgow.
- Leeds - at New Lane in the South bank area connected to the main station by walkway
- Sheffield - at Meadowhall shopping centre
More top news
The US Secret Service chief faces questions from politicians today over the latest in a series of worrying White House security breaches.
On average it is looking like September 2014 will be the driest for over 100 years.
Cheick Tiote's agent confirmed the Newcastle midfielder married a second woman this month, despite living with his first wife in Newcastle