While the precise route of the HS2 high speed rail extension is subject to a consultation, a number of cities and towns are expected to receive new station facilities or improvements to existing ones.
- Manchester - alongside the existing Piccadilly station
- Manchester Airport - interchange by the M56 between Warburton Green and Davenport Green
- East Midlands - at Toton, between Nottingham and Derby and one mile from the M1
- Crewe - dedicated link alongside the high speed line to link up with standard trains - reducing journey times to Liverpool and Glasgow.
- Leeds - at New Lane in the South bank area connected to the main station by walkway
- Sheffield - at Meadowhall shopping centre
More top news
Although it may be a dry and bright start for most, thicker cloud and rain will spread in through the day.
US Democrats must heed the warning of the UK's EU referendum vote to avoid a Donald Trump presidency, Kezia Dugdale has said.
Hundreds of people have been evacuated as a fast-moving wildfire has torched its way across 11,000 acres of land near Los Angeles.