While the precise route of the HS2 high speed rail extension is subject to a consultation, a number of cities and towns are expected to receive new station facilities or improvements to existing ones.
- Manchester - alongside the existing Piccadilly station
- Manchester Airport - interchange by the M56 between Warburton Green and Davenport Green
- East Midlands - at Toton, between Nottingham and Derby and one mile from the M1
- Crewe - dedicated link alongside the high speed line to link up with standard trains - reducing journey times to Liverpool and Glasgow.
- Leeds - at New Lane in the South bank area connected to the main station by walkway
- Sheffield - at Meadowhall shopping centre
More top news
Ted Robbins is "doing well" and is expected to be "fit and healthy soon" after collapsing on-stage during Phoenix Nights Live, his wife said
Doctors in India have carried out what is believed to be the world's first double hand transplant to be performed on a non-white patient.
Prince George is not only heir to Britain's throne, but a future long distance runner too, if his uncle has anything to do with it.