While the precise route of the HS2 high speed rail extension is subject to a consultation, a number of cities and towns are expected to receive new station facilities or improvements to existing ones.
- Manchester - alongside the existing Piccadilly station
- Manchester Airport - interchange by the M56 between Warburton Green and Davenport Green
- East Midlands - at Toton, between Nottingham and Derby and one mile from the M1
- Crewe - dedicated link alongside the high speed line to link up with standard trains - reducing journey times to Liverpool and Glasgow.
- Leeds - at New Lane in the South bank area connected to the main station by walkway
- Sheffield - at Meadowhall shopping centre
More top news
Up to 13 people are reported to have died and dozen of others were injured after the coach crashed into a tractor trailer near Palm Springs.
The Birds of a Feather actress was eliminated in the dance-off after the judges voted to save model Daisy Lowe.
The party faces a new contest after its former leader resigned after just 18 days - and this time it's shaping up as a beefier fight.