While the precise route of the HS2 high speed rail extension is subject to a consultation, a number of cities and towns are expected to receive new station facilities or improvements to existing ones.
- Manchester - alongside the existing Piccadilly station
- Manchester Airport - interchange by the M56 between Warburton Green and Davenport Green
- East Midlands - at Toton, between Nottingham and Derby and one mile from the M1
- Crewe - dedicated link alongside the high speed line to link up with standard trains - reducing journey times to Liverpool and Glasgow.
- Leeds - at New Lane in the South bank area connected to the main station by walkway
- Sheffield - at Meadowhall shopping centre
More top news
Harvey Proctor spoke out after police investigating allegations of historical child sex abuse searched his home.
More than a 100 doors have cropped up at the base of the woodland - but managers say they are threatening the enchanted forest.
Jonny Evans and Papiss Cissé are facing likely bans from the FA after appearing to spit at each other during a Premier League game