While the precise route of the HS2 high speed rail extension is subject to a consultation, a number of cities and towns are expected to receive new station facilities or improvements to existing ones.
- Manchester - alongside the existing Piccadilly station
- Manchester Airport - interchange by the M56 between Warburton Green and Davenport Green
- East Midlands - at Toton, between Nottingham and Derby and one mile from the M1
- Crewe - dedicated link alongside the high speed line to link up with standard trains - reducing journey times to Liverpool and Glasgow.
- Leeds - at New Lane in the South bank area connected to the main station by walkway
- Sheffield - at Meadowhall shopping centre
More top news
British boyband 5ive have pulled out of a concert which was hosted by the Leave.EU campaign.
The Estonia Foreign Minister has said that the EU will "lose a lot" in the event of Britain leaving the EU.
A video aimed at persuading "the youth" to vote in the EU referendum appears to have misfired, it was lambasted on Twitter.