While the precise route of the HS2 high speed rail extension is subject to a consultation, a number of cities and towns are expected to receive new station facilities or improvements to existing ones.
- Manchester - alongside the existing Piccadilly station
- Manchester Airport - interchange by the M56 between Warburton Green and Davenport Green
- East Midlands - at Toton, between Nottingham and Derby and one mile from the M1
- Crewe - dedicated link alongside the high speed line to link up with standard trains - reducing journey times to Liverpool and Glasgow.
- Leeds - at New Lane in the South bank area connected to the main station by walkway
- Sheffield - at Meadowhall shopping centre
More top news
In celebration of Her Majesty's 89th birthday today, we look back on some of the most important moments of her life.
Jeremy Renner has joked that director Joss Whedon's task on The Avengers film set is like "herding kittens".
Monster hunters can now explore Loch Ness on Google Maps - but will you be able to spot Nessie?