While the precise route of the HS2 high speed rail extension is subject to a consultation, a number of cities and towns are expected to receive new station facilities or improvements to existing ones.
- Manchester - alongside the existing Piccadilly station
- Manchester Airport - interchange by the M56 between Warburton Green and Davenport Green
- East Midlands - at Toton, between Nottingham and Derby and one mile from the M1
- Crewe - dedicated link alongside the high speed line to link up with standard trains - reducing journey times to Liverpool and Glasgow.
- Leeds - at New Lane in the South bank area connected to the main station by walkway
- Sheffield - at Meadowhall shopping centre
More top news
Tickets for next year's Glastonbury Festival in Somerset have sold out in just over thirty minutes.
The Rugby Football Union has ruled out any "hasty reaction" after England were knocked out of the Rugby World Cup by Australia.
A British mother was reportedly among the victims that died in the Oregon shooting.