While the precise route of the HS2 high speed rail extension is subject to a consultation, a number of cities and towns are expected to receive new station facilities or improvements to existing ones.
- Manchester - alongside the existing Piccadilly station
- Manchester Airport - interchange by the M56 between Warburton Green and Davenport Green
- East Midlands - at Toton, between Nottingham and Derby and one mile from the M1
- Crewe - dedicated link alongside the high speed line to link up with standard trains - reducing journey times to Liverpool and Glasgow.
- Leeds - at New Lane in the South bank area connected to the main station by walkway
- Sheffield - at Meadowhall shopping centre
More top news
Outbreaks of rain will continue to move eastwards across the UK this evening.
After ITV News named them as members of an IS terror cell dubbed "the Beatles", here's what we know about Alexe Kotey and Aine Davis.
Diego Costa's last-gasp equaliser saw Chelsea and Manchester United share the points at Stamford Bridge