While the precise route of the HS2 high speed rail extension is subject to a consultation, a number of cities and towns are expected to receive new station facilities or improvements to existing ones.
- Manchester - alongside the existing Piccadilly station
- Manchester Airport - interchange by the M56 between Warburton Green and Davenport Green
- East Midlands - at Toton, between Nottingham and Derby and one mile from the M1
- Crewe - dedicated link alongside the high speed line to link up with standard trains - reducing journey times to Liverpool and Glasgow.
- Leeds - at New Lane in the South bank area connected to the main station by walkway
- Sheffield - at Meadowhall shopping centre
More top news
Britons have stepped forward to offer help to refugees after a photo of a drowned three-year-old boy prompted an outpouring of support.
A One Direction fan said she was delighted after Harry Styles grabbed her posted during a concert and corrected her grammar.
John Inge, the Bishop of Worcester, says the death of his wife from cancer at the age of 51 has set him in opposition to the legislation.