While the precise route of the HS2 high speed rail extension is subject to a consultation, a number of cities and towns are expected to receive new station facilities or improvements to existing ones.
- Manchester - alongside the existing Piccadilly station
- Manchester Airport - interchange by the M56 between Warburton Green and Davenport Green
- East Midlands - at Toton, between Nottingham and Derby and one mile from the M1
- Crewe - dedicated link alongside the high speed line to link up with standard trains - reducing journey times to Liverpool and Glasgow.
- Leeds - at New Lane in the South bank area connected to the main station by walkway
- Sheffield - at Meadowhall shopping centre
More top news
The BBC, The Daily Mail, The Guardian, and Buzzfeed were among organisations not allowed access to a government meeting.
Mexico's Foreign Minister has warned Donald Trump against imposing a tax to pay for a border wall between the two nations.
Rain will affect many northern areas at first, pushing further south through the day.