• Princess Beatrix married German diplomat Claus Von Amsberg in 1966. He died in October 2002.
• Princess Beatrix became the Queen of the Netherlands in 1980 after her mother abdicated the throne.
• Queen Beatrix has three sons, with the eldest Prince Willem-Alexander set to succeed her.
• Queen Beatrix has eight grandchildren.
• During the war the Queen fled to Ottawa in Canada with her mother and two sisters.
• The Queen has weekly meetings with the Prime Minister and speaks regularly with ministers and state secretaries.
• Similar to the British Monarch, the Queen signs all new Acts of Parliament and Royal Decrees and plays a role in the formation of new governments, she also officially opens the parliamentary year with a speech.
More top news
Star Wars actor John Boyega, Luther star Idris Elba and rapper Ice Cube are among 683 people who have been invited to join.
A gun shop in Chicargo is raffling off an AR-15 rifle to raise funds for victims of the Orlando nightclub massacre.
The partner of one of the 11 people killed in the Shoreham air crash said airshows have caused too many fatalities.