• Princess Beatrix married German diplomat Claus Von Amsberg in 1966. He died in October 2002.
• Princess Beatrix became the Queen of the Netherlands in 1980 after her mother abdicated the throne.
• Queen Beatrix has three sons, with the eldest Prince Willem-Alexander set to succeed her.
• Queen Beatrix has eight grandchildren.
• During the war the Queen fled to Ottawa in Canada with her mother and two sisters.
• The Queen has weekly meetings with the Prime Minister and speaks regularly with ministers and state secretaries.
• Similar to the British Monarch, the Queen signs all new Acts of Parliament and Royal Decrees and plays a role in the formation of new governments, she also officially opens the parliamentary year with a speech.
More top news
Five people have been rescued from a small leisure boat on the Solent, after its engine failed and it began taking in water.
A US doctor has been accused of killing a lion during an illegal hunt, a week after it emerged dentist Walter Palmer killed Cecil the lion.
Mostly dry overnight in the east, strong winds and showery rain affecting Scotland & Northern Ireland