• Princess Beatrix married German diplomat Claus Von Amsberg in 1966. He died in October 2002.
• Princess Beatrix became the Queen of the Netherlands in 1980 after her mother abdicated the throne.
• Queen Beatrix has three sons, with the eldest Prince Willem-Alexander set to succeed her.
• Queen Beatrix has eight grandchildren.
• During the war the Queen fled to Ottawa in Canada with her mother and two sisters.
• The Queen has weekly meetings with the Prime Minister and speaks regularly with ministers and state secretaries.
• Similar to the British Monarch, the Queen signs all new Acts of Parliament and Royal Decrees and plays a role in the formation of new governments, she also officially opens the parliamentary year with a speech.
More top news
President Obama was at his best, as he used his oratorical skills to cajole Americans to back the "most qualified" Hillary Clinton.
As Obama signed off with his last major speech in office, ITV News asked his supporters what a difference he has made in eight years.
Lloyds Banking Group is cutting 3,000 jobs and shutting 200 branches as the lender braces for a cut in interest rates, it has announced.