• Princess Beatrix married German diplomat Claus Von Amsberg in 1966. He died in October 2002.
• Princess Beatrix became the Queen of the Netherlands in 1980 after her mother abdicated the throne.
• Queen Beatrix has three sons, with the eldest Prince Willem-Alexander set to succeed her.
• Queen Beatrix has eight grandchildren.
• During the war the Queen fled to Ottawa in Canada with her mother and two sisters.
• The Queen has weekly meetings with the Prime Minister and speaks regularly with ministers and state secretaries.
• Similar to the British Monarch, the Queen signs all new Acts of Parliament and Royal Decrees and plays a role in the formation of new governments, she also officially opens the parliamentary year with a speech.
More top news
The level of abuse and even intimidation by some in the ‘Yes’ campaign is making this referendum a rather unpleasant experience.
A former Germany international goalkeeper claims he has been offered a contract to become a wrestler with World Wrestling Entertainment.
George, a ten-year-old goldfish, was given a life-saving operation after developing a tumour. His hospital says it went "swimmingly".