• Princess Beatrix married German diplomat Claus Von Amsberg in 1966. He died in October 2002.
• Princess Beatrix became the Queen of the Netherlands in 1980 after her mother abdicated the throne.
• Queen Beatrix has three sons, with the eldest Prince Willem-Alexander set to succeed her.
• Queen Beatrix has eight grandchildren.
• During the war the Queen fled to Ottawa in Canada with her mother and two sisters.
• The Queen has weekly meetings with the Prime Minister and speaks regularly with ministers and state secretaries.
• Similar to the British Monarch, the Queen signs all new Acts of Parliament and Royal Decrees and plays a role in the formation of new governments, she also officially opens the parliamentary year with a speech.
More top news
Billionaire businessman Stefano Pessina has said the Labour leader's economic plans are "not helpful for business or the country."
British scientists believe their research may help to explain the missing material that makes up more than 80% of the universe's mass.
The 10-year deal to produce equipment will save the Armed Forces money and give inmates valuable employment skills, the Government said.