• Princess Beatrix married German diplomat Claus Von Amsberg in 1966. He died in October 2002.
• Princess Beatrix became the Queen of the Netherlands in 1980 after her mother abdicated the throne.
• Queen Beatrix has three sons, with the eldest Prince Willem-Alexander set to succeed her.
• Queen Beatrix has eight grandchildren.
• During the war the Queen fled to Ottawa in Canada with her mother and two sisters.
• The Queen has weekly meetings with the Prime Minister and speaks regularly with ministers and state secretaries.
• Similar to the British Monarch, the Queen signs all new Acts of Parliament and Royal Decrees and plays a role in the formation of new governments, she also officially opens the parliamentary year with a speech.
More top news
Travel industry chiefs have called for universal safety standards to be introduced across Europe, to help prevent future tragedies.
The tragic deaths of two children on a Thomas Cook Corfu holiday in 2006 could lead to a crisis of confidence for the travel industry.
Sunny spells for tomorrow, although the further we go into the weekend then we will see outbreaks of rain moving south eastwards