• Princess Beatrix married German diplomat Claus Von Amsberg in 1966. He died in October 2002.
• Princess Beatrix became the Queen of the Netherlands in 1980 after her mother abdicated the throne.
• Queen Beatrix has three sons, with the eldest Prince Willem-Alexander set to succeed her.
• Queen Beatrix has eight grandchildren.
• During the war the Queen fled to Ottawa in Canada with her mother and two sisters.
• The Queen has weekly meetings with the Prime Minister and speaks regularly with ministers and state secretaries.
• Similar to the British Monarch, the Queen signs all new Acts of Parliament and Royal Decrees and plays a role in the formation of new governments, she also officially opens the parliamentary year with a speech.
More top news
Colo became a mother of three, grandmother of 16, great-grandmother of 12 and great-great-grandmother of three.
The district's director of homeland security has said officials are planning for 800,000 to 900,000 people to attend the ceremony.
The Supreme Court is set to decide on whether disabled travellers are legally entitled to have priority use of wheelchair spaces on buses.