To help keep your child safe online:
- Talk to your child about the dangers posed by the internet
- Tell them what they should do if they become worried or concerned
- Explain that anything shared online or by mobile phone could end up being seen by anyone
- Understand what your child does online and know which websites they visit
- Put the computer where the whole family can see it, not out of sight in a bedroom
- Use filtering software to block inappropriate sites
- Encourage your child to use websites such as ChildLine where they can find advice and guidance on safe (but fun) use of the internet
More top news
At least 10 people have been injured after more than 50 cars were involved in a pile-up on a busy highway in Pennsylvania.
A teenager who grew an incredible 10cm overnight after an operation to correct a curve in her spine has been given the all clear by doctors.
Severe weather warnings have been issued for northern England and Scotland, where it could drop to minus 10C (14F) in some places.