To help keep your child safe online:
- Talk to your child about the dangers posed by the internet
- Tell them what they should do if they become worried or concerned
- Explain that anything shared online or by mobile phone could end up being seen by anyone
- Understand what your child does online and know which websites they visit
- Put the computer where the whole family can see it, not out of sight in a bedroom
- Use filtering software to block inappropriate sites
- Encourage your child to use websites such as ChildLine where they can find advice and guidance on safe (but fun) use of the internet
More top news
David Cameron has accepted the Electoral Commission's proposal to change the EU referendum question to avoid a potential bias.
Everton footballer Darron Gibson has pleaded guilty to crashing his sports car into a cyclist while drink-driving.
Natalie Aymot claims she got pregnant after a holiday romance with an Australian man but has no way to contact him after losing her phone.