To help keep your child safe online:
- Talk to your child about the dangers posed by the internet
- Tell them what they should do if they become worried or concerned
- Explain that anything shared online or by mobile phone could end up being seen by anyone
- Understand what your child does online and know which websites they visit
- Put the computer where the whole family can see it, not out of sight in a bedroom
- Use filtering software to block inappropriate sites
- Encourage your child to use websites such as ChildLine where they can find advice and guidance on safe (but fun) use of the internet
More top news
Justin Bieber has posted a video online apologising for his "arrogant" and "conceited" behaviour in the past year.
More than a third of children in England are considered overweight, a new 20-year study suggests.
The Tory party's "anti-immigration rhetoric" could cost MPs key marginal seats in the forthcoming general election, a new report says.