Accessing the internet and using mobile phones can put children at risk of:
- Seeing disturbing information or images
- Being the victim of online bullying (also known as cyberbullying)
- Being contacted and manipulated by an adult for sexual purposes (also known as grooming)
- Sharing personal and identifying information with strangers
- sending or receiving sexually explicit films, images or messages of themselves or others (this is known as sexting when sent by mobile phone)
More top news
The sister of murdered schoolgirl April Jones has revealed her sister's killer also targeted her.
Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney is unlikely to leave Old Trafford before the end of the month.
Scotland Yard say a 73-year-old man has been arrested in West Sussex on suspicion of sending offensive messages on social media.