Accessing the internet and using mobile phones can put children at risk of:
- Seeing disturbing information or images
- Being the victim of online bullying (also known as cyberbullying)
- Being contacted and manipulated by an adult for sexual purposes (also known as grooming)
- Sharing personal and identifying information with strangers
- sending or receiving sexually explicit films, images or messages of themselves or others (this is known as sexting when sent by mobile phone)
More top news
Animal rights group PETA seizes 'teachable moment', warning Pokémon Go users the game is akin to animal cruelty.
A Labour MP has accused aides to Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell of a 'violation of privacy, security and confidentiality'.
Hate crime offenders face being slapped with tougher sentences after a surge in reports of abuse and attacks following the EU referendum.