Mortality rates at five trusts are to be investigated, the NHS Commissioning Board announced today, in reaction to the official report into mistreatment and neglect at Mid-Staffordshire NHS Trust. They are as follows:
- Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust
- Tameside Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust
A public inquiry has blamed a failure 'at every level' of the NHS for the abuses at Stafford Hospital that resulted in hundreds of deaths.
The chair of the inquiry into Mid Staffordshire NHS made 290 recommendations to prevent the 'disaster' of Stafford Hospital occurring again.
Managers at Stafford Hospital accept that there were problems on some of the wards. But they say it's now one of the best in the country.