- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
The family of Alfie Dingley, 6, have been refused permission to legally use the drug to help control his seizures.
Part of the message read: “I don’t give a s**t if the whole street collapses”.
Atlantic weather fronts spread cloudy, wet and mild conditions eastwards overnight and throughout tomorrow.