- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
Mr Jackson, 30, suffered severe head injuries after he tried to shield Mia Ayliffe-Chung during a knife attack in Queensland.
Man's best friend really does understand some of what we are saying, scientists are suggesting.
Selena Gomez said she was taking time out to deal with panic attacks and depression thought to be a side effect of her lupus disease.