- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
A fertility app is to be given free to one million Brazilian women in a bid to halt the spread of the Zika virus.
A woman who had a face transplant after a neighbour's chimpanzee ripped her face off is in hospital as her body is rejecting the tissue.
Trinity Mirror's new national daily will publish its final edition on Friday 6 May.