- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
Walmley in the West Midlands would become the new centre of Great Britain if Scotland vote to go independent, Ordinance Survey has said.
The man is thought to have tied himself to the bottom of the vehicle as it travelled from Calais to Kent.
A woman in Thailand killed herself by jumping into a pond of crocodiles at a popular tourist attraction, Thai police said.