- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
Yahya Jammeh, who has ruled Gambia for more than 22 years, says he no longer accepted defeat in the country's presidential election.
Local authorities are taking a zero-tolerance approach to fly-tipping in the run up to Christmas as clean up costs spiral to £50 million.
President Obama has ordered a review into the email hacking that rattled the US presidential campaign, according to a White House official.