- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
Tonight turning foggy in places but frost free
Governor says Article 50 fears not Bank actions to blame for pound's plunge, but admits markets may yet have "mistaken" Brexit impact.
Conservative MP Zac Goldsmith read out a statement on his decision to force a by-election in protest at new runway at Heathrow Airport.