- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
Despite temperatures reaching double figures in the south today, it was still a chilly day, with brisk winds.
President Xi Jingping, who leads the worlds biggest polluter, has emerged as an unlikely figurehead for the battle against climate change.
Frankie Hill said he wanted to help rough sleepers because he felt sad that they are homeless on Christmas Day and "have to live alone".