- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
Do children need more mental health support? One primary school says the answer is yes - and pupils are queueing up to share their troubles.
April showers and sunshine
Tonight can reveal exclusive secret filming that shows how your precious online purchase might be badly handled. Ranvir Singh investigates