- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
A woman who was "dragged away" by a crocodile as her friend tried in vain to rescue her is reportedly still missing in Australia.
Police say at least one gunman armed with a high-powered rifle, began "shooting randomly" resulting in the death of a man in his 50s.
Ever wondered what the most expensive seaside town in Britain is? Find out here.