- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
Detectives investigating the abduction and rape of a 14-year-old girl as she walked to school have released a description of the offenders.
His widow wrote about his struggles with the little-known Lewy body disease in a neurological journal.
Police have revealed a pair of sandals they have had made similar to the pair Ben is thought to have been wearing when he disappeared