- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
Officials say wanted Moroccan man Younes Abouyaaquoub was the driver of the van which ploughed into pedestrians in Barcelona last week.
Big Ben will fall silent on Monday for renovations following a backlash from MPs over the proposed four-year timetable for the work.
Rain will push into the northwest, turning heavy and persistent in places