- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
Cooler and fresher across the UK over the next few days.
The prime minister was shouted at as she left the scene of the tragedy in which at least 79 people died.
Father-of-six Makram Ali, 51, was already receiving medical treatment as the attack unfolded. He died from multiple injuries, police say.