- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
An 11-year-old boy has been found guilty of shooting dead an eight-year-old girl in a row over a puppy.
A picture of a mother and her two daughters posted on social media has left people wondering "who's the mum?".
A manhunt is underway after gunmen dressed in women's clothes and SWAT team uniforms attacked a boxing event in Dublin, leaving a man dead.