- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
A bright and breezy day tomorrow with the best of the sunshine through the south and east once early mist and fog patches clear.
Thousands of people have died shortly after being declared fit to work by the Government, new figures reveal.
One billion users logged in to Facebook in a single day for the first time ever, co-founder Mark Zuckerberg announced.