- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
Jamie Oliver turned down the offer of playing a hobbit in the movie adaptation of the book by JRR Tolkien, the TV chef has revealed.
Children are being put at risk as 11% of posts for permanent children's social workers remain unfilled, experts have warned.
A Network Rail boss who presided over the Christmas trains chaos will not receive a bonus of more than £300,000 when he leaves in February