- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
Midfielder Kartie Chapman's husband and three sons, will be nervously watching the semi-final against Japan back in England.
The Duke of Cambridge has called England Women footballers to wish them well in their World Cup semi-final against Japan
Stories continue to emerge of the heroism and compassion of Tunisians who tried to help in the wake of the Sousse attack.