- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
More than 100 leaders have declared their support for a Conservative-led government, warning a Labour would "put the recovery at risk".
The winds will remain strong tonight and in the north showers will continue, which may turn wintry over high ground.
A deadline for a deal on Iran's nuclear development came and went at talks in Switzerland but there is still hope.