- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
Burnley have apologised to Bradford after one of their supporters was ejected from Saturday's pre-season friendly at Valley Parad
Two British schoolchildren seriously injured in a coach crash on the Swiss border remain in hospital in France.
Mixed set up this Sunday