- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
Ministers are ready to reduce the waiting time for Universal Credit payments following an outcry from Tory MPs, it has been suggested.
Storm Brian will bring strong or very strong winds across southern and western parts of the UK
Spanish prime minister Mariano Rajoy said he wants permission to dissolve Catalonia's government and to call an early election.