- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
This photo of African migrants attempting to cross the border into Europe while golfers tee off has gone viral.
Staff at GCHQ have come together to help launch this year's Poppy Appeal by forming a giant flower in the centre of the famous building.
Doctors in Australia have performed two successful heart transplants using a donated organ that has already stopped beating.