- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
After a most unusual trial in Brooklyn, jurors now must decide whether Abid Naseer plotted to blow up a Manchester shopping centre.
McLaren confirm that Fernando Alonso will not compete in the Australian GP on advice from doctors due to his recent crash
A "lethal mix" of poor clinical care and relationships between doctors and midwives led to the deaths of 11 babies and one mother.