- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
Showers continue to affect eastern areas throughout tomorrow and, later in the day, also across Northern Ireland.
A white police officer has been charged with murder after the shooting of an unarmed black man in the United States.
The actress says she has been alerted to "cruel practices" involved in producing the Birkin, which was named in her honour 31 years ago.