- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
A four-year-old boy is among 20 people to have died in some of the worst flooding West Virginia has seen.
The heavy showers will ease off this weekend.
Labour MPs are attempting to build a consensus for a single challenger to Corbyn, while the big game in the Tory Party is Stop Boris.