- Introduced in 1989, the microchip is a small electronic device, implanted between the shoulder blades of the dog.
- The Microchipping costs around £20-£30.
- Once a microchip is scanned, the local authority or welfare organisation contacts a national database to locate the owners
- According to the Dogs Trust survey, microchipping accounts for more than 30 per cent of reunions between pet and owner.
- More than four million dogs and cats in the UK have been fitted, with up to 8000 new registrations every week
More top news
Two private citizens have already paid a "significant deposit" to take the week-long trip.
Slippy start tomorrow with frost & ice
The court will determine how much the UK government and travel firms knew about the risk of an attack on tourists holidaying in the area.