Six NHS trusts recorded deaths rates that were higher than average in 2011-2012. Here is a breakdown of the numbers of deaths above what would be "expected":
- Walsall NHS Trust - 172
- Mid Cheshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust - 170
- Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust - 274
- Northern Lincolnshire and Goole Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust - 352
- Wye Valley NHS Trust - 142
- Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust - 206
A public inquiry has blamed a failure 'at every level' of the NHS for the abuses at Stafford Hospital that resulted in hundreds of deaths.
The chair of the inquiry into Mid Staffordshire NHS made 290 recommendations to prevent the 'disaster' of Stafford Hospital occurring again.
Managers at Stafford Hospital accept that there were problems on some of the wards. But they say it's now one of the best in the country.