An 11-year-old boy has died of carbon monoxide poisoning as he sat in a running car to keep warm, during a snowstorm that hit north east US, the Associated Press is reporting.
Boston Fire department spokesman Steve MacDonald said the boy was helping his father shovel the snow today but got cold, so his father started the car and the boy got inside.
Mr MacDonald said the car exhaust was covered by a snow bank, causing the fumes to collect in the vehicle.
When the boy was overcome by the fumes, his father went into respiratory arrest, and emergency workers took both to hospital. The boy was pronounced dead at the hospital. No names were released.
After snowstorm 'Nemo' hit the US and Canada, less severe storm 'Orko' is expected to bring more wintry weather.
A summary of the effects of the storm that swept across the northeastern US and Canada.