Earlier this month Medical Director Sir Bruce Keogh announced an investigation into hospitals mortality rates.
Sir Bruce had identified an initial list of five organisations that had been outliers for two years on the Summary Hospital-level Mortality Indicator (SHMI), today he has announced the final list to be investigated:
- North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust
- United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust
- George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust
- Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust
- Northern Lincolnshireand Goole Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- The Dudley Group NHS FT
- Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS FT
- Medway NHS FT
- Burton Hospitals NHS FT
– Sir Bruce Keogh, Medical Director
These hospitals are already working closely with a range of regulators. If there were concerns that services were unsafe the regulators should have intervened.
The purpose of my investigation is to assure patients, public and Parliament that these hospitals understand why they have a high mortality and have all the support they need to improve. This will be a thorough and rigorous process, involving patients, clinicians, regulators and local organisations.