- Move the person away from anything that could cause injury, such as a busy road or hot cooker
- Cushion their head if they're on the ground
- Loosen any tight clothing around their neck, such as a collar or tie, to aid breathing
- When their convulsions stop, turn them so that they are lying on their side
- Stay with them and talk to them calmly until they have recovered
- Note the time the seizure starts and finishes
- Do not put anything in the persons mouth, including your fingers as they may choke
- As the person is coming round, they may be confused, so try to comfort them
More top news
A look ahead to the weather forecast for today across the UK.
The first official report since HMP Birmingham was hit by a riot has found "violence had increased substantially" since the last inspection.
Actor Michael Nyqvist, famed for starring in the original film adaptation of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, has died aged 56.