Police believe this latest suspected conspiracy took place primarily during 2005 to 2006 and is separate from the alleged conspiracy already being investigated by Operation Weeting in which a number of people have already been charged.
As part of the new lines of inquiry six people were arrested this morning on suspicion of conspiracy to intercept telephone communications All of them are journalists or former journalists:
- A 46-year-old man was arrested in the London Borough of Wandsworth
- A 39-year-old man was arrested in the London Borough of Greenwich
- A 45-year-old man was arrested in the London Borough of Wandsworth
- A 39-year-old woman was arrested in Cheshire
- A 33-year-old woman was arrested in the London Borough of Islington
- A 40-year-old woman was arrested in the London Borough of Lambeth
All six of those arrested worked for the News of the World.
More top news
Two brothers who rescued a bald eagle from a trap managed to take this selfie with the bird before it flew away.
A woman is being hunted by police after posting a picture of her dog's mouth duct-taped shut because it wouldn't "shut up".
Britain is to be lashed by gales of up to 70mph today as Storm Clodagh makes its arrival from the Atlantic.