Police believe this latest suspected conspiracy took place primarily during 2005 to 2006 and is separate from the alleged conspiracy already being investigated by Operation Weeting in which a number of people have already been charged.
As part of the new lines of inquiry six people were arrested this morning on suspicion of conspiracy to intercept telephone communications All of them are journalists or former journalists:
- A 46-year-old man was arrested in the London Borough of Wandsworth
- A 39-year-old man was arrested in the London Borough of Greenwich
- A 45-year-old man was arrested in the London Borough of Wandsworth
- A 39-year-old woman was arrested in Cheshire
- A 33-year-old woman was arrested in the London Borough of Islington
- A 40-year-old woman was arrested in the London Borough of Lambeth
All six of those arrested worked for the News of the World.
More top news
The dangerous Khumbu icefall has been rendered impassable after an avalanche, trapping climbers on Mt Everest. Here's what you need to know.
A company included in a letter supporting the Tory Party said one of its staff members had been wrongly listed as a signatory.
Customs officials in Thailand seize 3 tons of ivory hidden in tea leaf sacks from Kenya in the second-biggest bust in the country's history.