Police believe this latest suspected conspiracy took place primarily during 2005 to 2006 and is separate from the alleged conspiracy already being investigated by Operation Weeting in which a number of people have already been charged.
As part of the new lines of inquiry six people were arrested this morning on suspicion of conspiracy to intercept telephone communications All of them are journalists or former journalists:
- A 46-year-old man was arrested in the London Borough of Wandsworth
- A 39-year-old man was arrested in the London Borough of Greenwich
- A 45-year-old man was arrested in the London Borough of Wandsworth
- A 39-year-old woman was arrested in Cheshire
- A 33-year-old woman was arrested in the London Borough of Islington
- A 40-year-old woman was arrested in the London Borough of Lambeth
All six of those arrested worked for the News of the World.
More top news
Dave Lee Travis found guilty of indecent assault, not guilty of another assault and jury are unable to each a verdict on another charge.
Tom Bradby will play host to the leaders of the three main parties, as well as the biggest names from the worlds of arts and culture.
One of the greatest sporting events on earth gets underway this week as the Ryder Cup heads to Scotland, here's everything you need to know