Police believe this latest suspected conspiracy took place primarily during 2005 to 2006 and is separate from the alleged conspiracy already being investigated by Operation Weeting in which a number of people have already been charged.
As part of the new lines of inquiry six people were arrested this morning on suspicion of conspiracy to intercept telephone communications All of them are journalists or former journalists:
- A 46-year-old man was arrested in the London Borough of Wandsworth
- A 39-year-old man was arrested in the London Borough of Greenwich
- A 45-year-old man was arrested in the London Borough of Wandsworth
- A 39-year-old woman was arrested in Cheshire
- A 33-year-old woman was arrested in the London Borough of Islington
- A 40-year-old woman was arrested in the London Borough of Lambeth
All six of those arrested worked for the News of the World.
More top news
Doctors in Australia have reattached 16-month-old Jaxon Taylor's head to his spine after he was 'internally decapitated' in a car accident.
Alan Titchmarsh becomes the new chancellor at the university where I and my daughter both studied, writes Alastair Stewart.
Heavy showery rain will continue to push northeastwards across the north of Britain during the rest of today.