Sam Woodhead became lost after going out for a jog from the Queensland cattle station where he was working.
The 18-year-old lost two stone in weight and survived the blistering 40C heat by drinking contact lens fluid and his own urine.
Woodhead said: "It was a really amazing feeling to be picked up and realise that I was actually going to make it through...and it wasn't going to be the end."
Claire Derry, Sam's mother, said: "His birth was one of the best moments of my life, and this is pretty close to it, getting him back again, because I was pretty convinced it was touch and go. I did an awful lot of praying during that flight."
More top news
There has been a sharp and worrying rise in the number of youngsters contacting ChildLine about suicide, the children's charity warned.
A travel firm will try to promote North Korea trips to UK holidaymakers - despite the country's current ban on visitors over Ebola fears.
One person is still unaccounted for following a large blaze at a fireworks factory in Stafford.